Trim Level Badge Missing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Undecided

Reaction score
I am trying to decide on the purchase of a 1995 GMC K2500 Suburban.

It has low miles and looks clean, except for the obvious chrome tape on a section of the rear bumper? (Should I be concerned)

What puzzles me is the lack of a LS or LT badge to the rear of the back door pillar.
I'm trying to figure out if this was re painted or if it is a plain and simple K2500.
It has leather interior and the 4wd shiftier is on the floor.

I was hoping there was a code on the SPI sticker.

Does anyone have any insight, what I should look for.

Thanks in advance.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it has leather, it’d be the SLT. On a Chevrolet, it’s RPO code 1SC so GMC may be the same. Base would have been SL, mid-trim cloth an SLE.

The emblem could have been removed for personal preference and (to me) a quality new paint job could be a good thing. The chrome tape on the bumper may be covering a rust hole, so if it’s a northern truck then rust would be something to look for. That and the usual mechanicals.

Is it a 454 or 350? If you’re towing a lot, the 454 with 4.10 gears would be a good combo. Code GT4 is a 3.73, GT5 is the 4.10.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Sometimes with a repaint all the emblems don't get replaced. My Burb has the LT emblem on one side, that Texas heat has melted the jelly part of, and no emblem on the other side (looks like it was never there). Usually when the emblems come off, some of the mounting foam is still on the truck; they don't just come clean off.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got my GMC SLE badges off eBay. They look ok. There were some minor blemishes on the bottom which could be cleaned up with some sandpaper and polish. I should take some photos but I’m pretty sure I misplaced them already.

Here is the listing:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I am trying to decide on the purchase of a 1995 GMC K2500 Suburban.

It has low miles and looks clean, except for the obvious chrome tape on a section of the rear bumper? (Should I be concerned)

What puzzles me is the lack of a LS or LT badge to the rear of the back door pillar.
I'm trying to figure out if this was re painted or if it is a plain and simple K2500.
It has leather interior and the 4wd shiftier is on the floor.

I was hoping there was a code on the SPI sticker.

Does anyone have any insight, what I should look for.

Thanks in advance.
Howell.. Michigan? Chrome tape on the bumper? I'd be looking for a rust-through behind it.. and elsewhere, of course.

Richard

Kens1990K2500

One Piece At A Time
Reaction score
Howell.. Michigan? Chrome tape on the bumper? I'd be looking for a rust-through behind it.. and elsewhere, of course.

Richard
Rust belt owner here. I've been 'guilty' of using chrome (aluminum) tape to cover up rot holes on front bumpers, to make them look a bit more presentable.

Both trucks I did this to, had previously been used for plowing, so salt laden snow and slush accumulated inside the bumpers.

My present truck, I just swapped a rotted bumper, for a solid, decent one from Pick N Pull. It was clean on the chrome side, but rusty (yet solid) on the inside, so I coated the inside with KBR Rust Seal (like POR15) to extend the bumper's lifespan.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're unsure yourself, get somebody else or shop to do a pre-purchase inspection. It's money well spent if it saves you from buying someone else's disaster. If the seller won't take it to a place of your choice or work with you on that walk away. Situations where somebody has begun to cover stuff up always make me a bit leery. Look for stuff like fresh undercoating in problematic areas etc., and just how much rust and crust there is in general. A missing emblem is trivial. Not many have survived without getting some battle damage and new paint along the way. If the paint is covering up cardboard, bondo, and gaping rust holes it's a different story. Worrying about trim levels and codes is way down on the list of things to worry about.

Last edited: