miss matched springs from the factory ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nova SS

Reaction score
I Have a 1998 c1500 that I swapped a 5.7 5 speed combo in.

It has always been hard to do a front end alignment on . Passenger side always seemed to sit 1" lower then driver's side. So I finally broke down and rebuilt the front end. I was surprised to find it had two different diameter springs on front, .095 on drives side and .084 on passenger.

Is there any reason the factory would do this ? I m the second owner and got it with 12,00 miles on it in 2001

You must be registered for see images attach

Nova SS

Reaction score
I remember ford use to do this on some trucks due to engine off set but it had the heavier spring on the the passenger side. Never heard this about chevys, even if they did this mine would have be back wards

Nova SS

Reaction score
well I got my after market variable springs in and its sits level.

I did some research and on some applications on the c1500 GM does list a different spring for right and left. It doesn't not give specs as spring rate height etc. Since the springs I removed do not have part number Ill guess Ill never know the story. It was always low on the front right I don't think it was ever right to begin with.

If like ford the springs were on the wrong side. measure from the wheel well lip to ground before it was 34 " on the left and 33" on the right, now its 33.5" both sides

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since your not the " bought new guy " , who knows why. For further research I would ask someone like Moog, or spring people if they have service replacement information, specifications.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Unless there are right and left part numbers, I'd suspect either they were sequenced wrong at GM, or one got replaced before your purchase. 1,200 or 12,000 miles seems like a low number to be replacing springs, but it's possible.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember ford use to do this on some trucks due to engine off set but it had the heavier spring on the the passenger side. Never heard this about chevys, even if they did this mine would have be back wards
The engine is offset on Chevies too but, my fat ass counter balances it well. ;)