Transmission Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean McDonough

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen a few post about removing the transmission but none answered any of my questions as far as i could see. I'm trying to drop out my trans from a 91 k1500, and it's very rusty ( thanks ohio ). Right now my big issues is removing the rear drive shaft, what size bolts are on it where it connects to the rear differential ? My buddy was trying everything sae and metric that would fit and nothing did. My other big question is, since there is no engine in it, is there anyway to get the front drive shaft from spinning ? I have 1 bolt left and it really does not want to come off. Heavy use of PB blaster will be in order haha.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was either a 11, 12, or 13.

Stick a screw driver or prybar in the front joint area of the front shaft. Spin till it hits the frame. Bam no more spinning shaft when trying to loosen the bolts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Sean McDonough

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was either a 11, 12, or 13.

Stick a screw driver or prybar in the front joint area of the front shaft. Spin till it hits the frame. Bam no more spinning shaft when trying to loosen the bolts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Thanks man, and yea that's pretty smart about the front shaft, have to try that tonight thanks man

red97k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The drive shaft u joint strap bolts are 7/16, the head and bolt threads are sae standard.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i use 11mm on most of them. its a little tighter on some vs 7/16. sometimes opposite.
Ive used a ratchet strap and wrapped it around the DS like a strap wrench and hook it to the frame to keep them from turning.