Transmission leak again - 96 silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davidfite1978

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Earlier this year (May) my transmission dumped a big load in my driveway. I replaced the transmission pan seal/gasket (cork, most expensive one advanced auto had). Have had no problems with it leaking since. Well 2 days ago, it dumped again. I don't understand what's going on. It's not a slow leak, it just dumps everything it can in 1 day. I usually park in the grass on a slight incline, but the 2 times it's dumped, it's been on my level driveway. I park on a level parking lot at work every day. Wouldn't a seal with a bad spot in it leak all the time, or at least somewhat? I haven't gotten under the truck to investigate other than to see that there was fluid on the passenger side of the pan dripping. I'm wondering if there's anything else near the pan that could be doing this and it just looks like the pan since it flows down onto it or something? Or are these seals just trouble?

The PO told me he had to have the transmission resealed because it was leaking. When I replaced the seal in May I found one of the bolts to be of incorrect type and size and it had stripped out the threads, so I had to tap that one and use a bigger bolt, so I'm sure his mechanic was an idiot.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My truck has been a little finicky about the pan seal, had to re-do it once. The Suburban has never given me any trouble with that, though. To be honest I'd be suspicious of the previous mechanic screwing something up down there considering what you found with the bolts. Is the pan itself warped or bent at all?

davidfite1978

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No the pan looked fine when I did it in May. I talked to the guy at Advanced Auto Parts today and he said he normally uses the rubber kind and sprays some kind of adhesive on it too. So I guess assuming I don't see the leak coming from anywhere else I might try that.