Transmission guru's need your help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've had a mysterious transmission leak for awhile now that seems to have gotten progressively worse to the point where I can't drive the truck anymore without dumping fluid in her first. The leak is dripping onto the y pipe and then onto the ground. The thing that has me puzzled is that it drips when the truck is parked and hasn't been driven in awhile. So much so that last week I went to drive it after having it parked for two weeks and the tranny was slipping and acting weird so I pulled the dipstick and it was bone dry. Anybody have any good ideas on what exactly is leaking? If I can't figure it out soon I'm either gonna have to pull the tranny myself (don't really want to) or take it to a shop to have them diagnose and fix it ($$$$$)

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sound like the front seal.. It's common just drop it pull the converter put a new seal and while you there put a new tail shaft seal and do filter change..

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
If the new seal has a spring groove on the outside of it(I've seen some that do and some that dont), make sure the band spring is set in the groove good and tight. I've seen it not installed right before and the band spring pops off and rides on input shaft and the hot tranny fluid warps the seal causing it to pour out fluid. It's not really a hard install, just alot of "heave! ho!" etc. :D

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, well I've had a gm mechanic say that he thought it might be the front seal. So I drop that transmission down pull the torque converter and replace the seal? I have access to a lift and some air tools so roughly how long would you say a job like this would take? I'd prefer to do the job myself to save some coin but the last thing I want to do is pull my transmission out and **** something up. Gotta get it down soon though, since before you know it the snow will be here and I'll need her to plow and tow my sled :headbang:

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
With a lift, air tools, a helping hand, transmission jack, and no smoke breaks....from the time the tires leave the ground to the time they touch the ground, it can be done in as quickly as 1.5hours give or take. Taking your time is always better, so don't do any rushing or shortcuts. To change my clutch, I took 4hrs cuz the flywheel had to be swapped.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I talked to the local transmission shop and they said that if the front pump seal is leaking then chances are it's because the front pump has a bad bushing. In order for them to fix it they would have to dropped the transmission and the pan and rebuild the pump to the tune of $600. Otherwise if I drop the transmission and bring it to them it will be around $200. So I think I'm going to drop the transmission myself and bring it in for them to repair.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Haha, good idea. Rebuilding a tranny is easy, hence the low cost of the labor(on trans only) of most tranny shops, the installation is what they HATE and CHARGE for. If you can find an old copy of alldata, it will show you step-by-step how to rebuild your tranny and even what tools are needed, sizes of tools, etc.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used to subscribe to alldata but I let the subscription lapse... might be time to renew it

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah I didn't ever have the actual program just the alldatadiy subscription