Transmission go boom. Opinions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Sooo, yesterday my truck was unable to find 3rd gear. It would go from second, into a neutral type feeling, and then back to second. Cruising 40 mph at 3000 rpm's is not ideal, so it's time to get the old thing rebuilt. It's the original 4L60e with 205k on it, not too bad.

Here's the dilemma, do I go with a rebuilt 4L60e with some improvements for durability and higher power handling, or do I get a 4L80e?

What do you guys think?

Do any of y'all know what exactly is involved in swapping in the 80 for the 60? I know the gear ratios are different, so I would have to get my speedo recalibrated, but that's ok, I might end up (finally) putting my 14-bolt in at the same time.

The Baron

I like drugs
Reaction score
My trans just lost 3rd gear too. It appears that its the 3-4 clutch. I was looking at a 4l80e swap but that requires: trans case adapter/new trans case, driveshaft mods, ECM flash/replacement, possibly crossmember mods if I remember correctly. I'm personally looking at rebuilding my 4l60e. One of the members here turned me on to http://rhino-transmission-parts.com/ , they sell compete kits at a decent price, including different stages. Also, you may have to change your sig, original trans isn't great anymore :jester:

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
since you have the whipple I'd go with a 4L80e

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Sooo, yesterday my truck was unable to find 3rd gear. It would go from second, into a neutral type feeling, and then back to second. Cruising 40 mph at 3000 rpm's is not ideal, so it's time to get the old thing rebuilt. It's the original 4L60e with 205k on it, not too bad.

Here's the dilemma, do I go with a rebuilt 4L60e with some improvements for durability and higher power handling, or do I get a 4L80e?

What do you guys think?

Do any of y'all know what exactly is involved in swapping in the 80 for the 60? I know the gear ratios are different, so I would have to get my speedo recalibrated, but that's ok, I might end up (finally) putting my 14-bolt in at the same time.

I used to build transmissions for a few years, and I've built 60's for applications up to 600 rwhp... If you don't want the lower first gear of a 60, it's hard to beat an 80 for reliability, but you're looking at alot more moneys to get into one.

BTW, the speedo won't have to be re-calibrated for the different gear ratios, it get's it's reading from VSS pulses, only gear ratio changes affect it

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Personally I'd probably just rebuild the 4L60E unless you plan on making bigger power in the future. By all means beef it up a little while you're in there, though. Good time to install a Transgo kit as well.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Well guys, I bought a '95 4L80e from a guy about 2 hours away last week. He said it was rebuilt less than 15k miles ago, but that's what he was told when he bought it. He was going to use it in a '97, but couldn't get it to work. Now I'm just gathering info on the swap. If I can, I'll take pics and do a writeup for you all. I'm looking forward to having 3rd and 4th gear back. 2nd sucks.

ChristGilley

GMT400less GMT400 Member
Reaction score
My trans just lost 3rd gear too. It appears that its the 3-4 clutch. I was looking at a 4l80e swap but that requires: trans case adapter/new trans case, driveshaft mods, ECM flash/replacement, possibly crossmember mods if I remember correctly. I'm personally looking at rebuilding my 4l60e. One of the members here turned me on to http://rhino-transmission-parts.com/ , they sell compete kits at a decent price, including different stages. Also, you may have to change your sig, original trans isn't great anymore :jester:

If I get the 98 im looking at, that link will prove to be very useful. Save a few bucks and can choose different stages. Muy bueno

Sent while pulling out a Ford