Transmission starting to go

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnk2500

Reaction score
I have a 95 k2500 xclb 350 tbi 4l80e. Trans slips in passing gear and sometimes it gets stuck in second gear. Sometimes I'll run it up to 45 -50 then put it in neutral and shut it off and wait about 10-15 seconds then restart it, put it in drive and it will shift after that. My question is what year 4l80e are compatible with a 95? I have already changed the filter and fluid in it, plus the shift solenoids. Still the same thing. Help

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been a year since I read up on this, but I remember there were two different placements for the transmission cooler lines on the transmission. Look for a transmission case that has them arranged identically to yours.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is the 95 4L80E like the 95 4L60E - a one year only transmission?

Pretty sure that's only a 4L60E thing... I never saw anything about it when I was hunting down a 4L80E to swap into my red truck.

It's been a year since I read up on this, but I remember there were two different placements for the transmission cooler lines on the transmission. Look for a transmission case that has them arranged identically to yours.

Yup, the cooler line positions changed in '97. Here's a link to the Sloppy Mechanics 4L80E Wiki page, it has some good info on 4L80E differences by year.

https://sites.google.com/site/sloppywiki/everything-ls/4l80e-info

Johnk2500

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the info, now i just need to find one. All the junk yards around where i live have been bought up by one company and they crushed everything, so it makes it hard to find anything older.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you haven't already, check car-part.com and row52.com. They're sites that allow you to search salvage yard inventories in your area and sort by distance. Car-part is full service yards, Row 52 is you-pull-it.

Johnk2500

Reaction score
I was looking at the link you sent and I seen that the 97-99 had different trans line locations, if I got one of these years, would I have to do anything to the electronic on it, or would it be a plug and play? Sorry for the dumb questions. Would like to have better lubrication for the o.d. . I'm not positive but I'm sure that's why they moved it to the back of the transmission. Maybe I'm wrong i don't know.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was looking at the link you sent and I seen that the 97-99 had different trans line locations, if I got one of these years, would I have to do anything to the electronic on it, or would it be a plug and play?

I don't think there are any electronic differences except maybe the MLPS, but don't quote me on that. I think you can pretty much use any of them. Even the 2000+ models with the "LS" bellhousing bolt pattern will bolt up to these older engines, the LS pattern just has one extra bolt on the top.

If I were you I'd stick with a '94-'96. That way you don't have to worry about changing cooler lines and you still get the updated EPC solenoid.