Transmission fluid in my radiator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

West Mi Mudder

OHHHH YEAHHHHH
Reaction score
Yup, that is definitely not transmission fluid in the coolant, but rather dexcool like others have stated. I had a few transmissions today at work that had coolant contamination, and its a milky pink.

krisj

Reaction score
that is from dex cool being mixed with a non compatible anti freeze it turns into a red sludge I can almost guarantee thats your issue I have seen it before on a few trucks i've worked on. flush the system and replace with regular antifreeze

That's good to know about mixing Dex Cool and conventional coolant. I've never used Dex Cool before and don't plan using it in the future.
As for the flush, I was planning on that, new hoses, radiator cap, & T-stat. You think that radiator will clean up?

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
That's good to know about mixing Dex Cool and conventional coolant. I've never used Dex Cool before and don't plan using it in the future.
As for the flush, I was planning on that, new hoses, radiator cap, & T-stat. You think that radiator will clean up?

I would get a new rad, just to be safe.

krisj

Reaction score
that's dexcool sludge death, time to replace and flush the entire cooling system.

here's what the expansion tanks on the side of your radiator look like right now in case you're curious!

You must be registered for see images attach

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1558265361-post11.html

Indeed I was definately curious! I don't think that's flushable. I think I'll just replace the radiator along with the hoses and such.

Blind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
even with replacing the radiator and hoses, you still will have sludge in the waterpump, thermostat, all the engine gaskets, the heatercore, etc. I fought it for a few weeks in my old `01 s10 blazer, it was so bad :( Mine was caused by a pinhole leak in the radiator that was letting air into the system that I didn't catch for a few months as it was my wifes car, we were just topping up the coolant every few weeks whenever she heard a 'gurgling' sound from the dash, which was the air bubbles jumping around inside the heatercore from it being low on fluid because of the leak.

The only thing that seemed to work, was the prestone super flush kit. Even then it took a lot of work, and a new heatercore, radiator, waterpump, thermostat, and all new hoses. The gaskets inside the engine were probably clogged with that junk too, like what happened to this guy. I don't know as I sold that truck shortly after, wasn't worth the trouble.
You must be registered for see images attach