Transmission cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rico47635

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to put a transmission cooler on my truck--'88 5.7L, TBI. I have never done this before on any vehicle I have owned. My question is this--Should I completely bypass the radiator all together, or do I find the return line to the transmission coming from the radiator and mount inline with it? I am not sure if these things are designed to completely replace the cooling provided by the radiator or if they are designed to supplement what the radiator provides. As usual, thanks for the replies. This site has been a big help to me in the few weeks I've been here.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They are usually desinged to be an add on to be used with your original cooler, unless it's a very large cooler or came from the factory that way. The way I have done a cooler in the past, was to unhook the original bottom cooler line, and run that via a piece of trans hose to the aftermarket cooler top inlet, and then the bottom of the aftermarket cooler back to the original bottom line via another piese of trans hose. Never had a problem.

rico47635

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How would I know which line connected to the radiator is the supply line and which one is the return line? It seems to me that connecting a cooler to the supply line would defeat the purpose of the cooler. It's been a long time since I had the transmission lines disconnected from a vehicle while the vehicle was running, but I think the bottom one is the supply and the top one is the return.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well if you want to know there is an easy way, unhook one and start the truck for a few second's, you will find out real quick which one is feed and which is return!

rico47635

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL! I thought about that, but I hate it when stuff gets squirted or spilled in the engine compartment. I took the truck mudding for the first time a couple of weeks ago for my son's birthday. Had a good time, but I wasn't thinking that I'd get the engine compartment so dirty. I opened up the hood at the car wash and my eyeballs 'bout popped outta my head! hehehehe! It cost me $10 to get the truck clean again. It was worth it though.

chevy_man

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another way to tell which line is which is to just feel each line with the engine and trans warmed up, and it running to circulate fluid. The colder line is the return. On mine IIRC the bottom line is the return, but it's had several transmissions so the lines at the trans could have been interchanged.

Go from the return on the radiator cooler, to your aftermarket one, then back to the stock return. I just used some adapters that were a flanged fitting that bolted to the factory end on one side, and a barb to help secure the hose (with a clamp of course) on the other. They came with the cooler I got from napa, so I can't tell you where to get just the adapter. Speaking of which, the cooler I bought there was about $50 on sale, and it came with the hose and everything. It was only a tube and fin type, so nothing fancy.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just installed a factory gm trans cooler in my truck and it was a super easy install. AC Delco Factory Transmission Cooler Part #12546252. It can usually be had for around $50. Mounts in a factory location and everything.