Transmission Cooler??????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aggieman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
got oversized tires (33s) on my stock 3.42 gears. i would love to regear but thats not in the cards so can anyone point me to a good tranny cooler that is easily adaptable to our trucks? just looking to keep temps down to avoid blowing my tranny prematurely thanks

redchevy914x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put the biggest B&M trans cooler on that I could find. It seems to be pretty good for the price. My suggestion though would be to install a transmission temp gauge first to see if your transmission is actually getting hot. If it is, then install a cooler.

aggieman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you know which one it was or the dimensions of it? And was it easy to install?

redchevy914x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If i remember correctly the part number is 70268. It is 11"x6"x3/4." I just installed it right inline with my lines and cooler that are on my truck now. I did it this way for simplicity of installation. I also read that if you bypass the original cooler, the transmission would almost run too cool. Dont know if thats true or not. I have had zero issues with my setup in almost two years so I can't complain.

redchevy914x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also did an Autometer Phantom trans temp gauge and a B&M deep transmission pan. I never see the transmission temps anywhere above 160.

Jesse82nc

The Burb
Reaction score
I also did an Autometer Phantom trans temp gauge and a B&M deep transmission pan. I never see the transmission temps anywhere above 160.

Pretty sure you don't need to worry until you are easily in the 200s. Most say you won't have problems until you get up to 235-250. It's when the oil breaks down.

Via tapatalk on my Galaxy Tab 2

redchevy914x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pretty sure you don't need to worry until you are easily in the 200s. Most say you won't have problems until you get up to 235-250. It's when the oil breaks down.

Via tapatalk on my Galaxy Tab 2

Ya I just wanted extra insurance. After spending some $$ getting the trans rebuilt, I wanted to make sure it never over heated.

SilveradoGuy85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It might already have a stock trans cooler, my 98 with a 4L60e has one. If you open the glove box and look on the lid you'll see the RPO codes. The code for the cooler on my truck is KNP.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Ya I just wanted extra insurance. After spending some $$ getting the trans rebuilt, I wanted to make sure it never over heated.

Number one killer of transmissions is heat. A cooler is cheap insurance. I'd also be inclined to add a shift kit. Not one of those 'snap-your-neck-n-chirp-the-tires' kits, but one for towing & RV applications. The less time a trans spends slipping the clutches between one gear & the next, means that less heat is created within the trans. 4L60e's & 80e's can be reprogrammed somewhat via the computer. (the 'e' stands for electronically controlled)