Transfer case stupid question thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HGKx

Reaction score
Good morning.

I will be changing my transfer case fluid on my 1998 K1500 Automatic Trans 5.7L 4x4. I have the NP243 transfer case.

Do I use AutoTrak II or Dextron 3? I see conflicting information. Thanks in advance!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Good morning.

I will be changing my transfer case fluid on my 1998 K1500 Automatic Trans 5.7L 4x4. I have the NP243 transfer case.

Do I use AutoTrak II or Dextron 3? I see conflicting information. Thanks in advance!

Dex for the 243, autotrac for the 246.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
None. Can even go to Dex6 since Dex3 isn't a thing anymore.
GM does not authorize Dex 6 as being backwards-compatible for non-transmission applications. It is backwards-compatible for all Dexron applications in actual automatic transmissions. Therefore I'm thinking that Dex 6 is not appropriate for transfer cases.

"Dex-Merc" or similar names are (unofficially) intended to be direct replacements for Dexron III-H. So Dex III "is" available, but without the Dexron trade name on the bottle. (and, unfortunately, without any guarantee of quality or compatibility, so buy from a trusted source.)

GM's insistence on not licensing the Dexron trade name for the older versions of Dexron is why GM "invented" Autotrac II, which--so far as I can tell--is merely Dexron III-H with blue dye instead of red dye.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
GM does not authorize Dex 6 as being backwards-compatible for non-transmission applications. It is backwards-compatible for all Dexron applications in actual automatic transmissions. Therefore I'm thinking that Dex 6 is not appropriate for transfer cases.

"Dex-Merc" or similar names are (unofficially) intended to be direct replacements for Dexron III-H. So Dex III "is" available, but without the Dexron trade name on the bottle.

GM's insistence on not licensing the Dexron trade name for the older versions of Dexron is why GM "invented" Autotrac II, which--so far as I can tell--is merely Dexron III-H with blue dye instead of red dye.

What's the H in Dex III-H?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I read a TSB that said to not use Dextron VI specifically in Transfer Cases.

O Reilly's has Dextron III-H.

No, they have a fluid that claims to be compatible with Dex III-H. That said I've been using the not Dex3 Dex3 in my stuff without issue, but like Schurkey said the spec no longer exists. And I wasn't tracking that Dex6 was not for not transmission applications, so I learned a thing.