transfer case rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The chain's have slack in them from the factory.

I've never seen a stretched 241/3 chain from any of the 5-6 I've torn apart, incluing the one from a 91 V20 Suburban. The cases crack before the chain fails.

The only reason to rebuild these IMO is if the shift fork pads wear out and it pops in and out of gear or if one of the bearings fails.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They stretch.... Your right, they have some slack, but they do stretch. First symptom is a pop going in gear. Then when they get real bad they skip teeth when you put it under a load. Loud popping noise. Another problem is the snap ring on the output shaft breaks, causing excessive clearance. Sonnex makes a stronger one. And the aluminum shift forks break or wear.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Speaking of the shift forks, isn't there a company out there that makes like HD kits for these that replaces all the weak/lemon parts with better components? Sort of like those companies that make "fixer kits" to replace the known weak components in 4l60's.

F O X

Reaction score
Hello from Russia! I have an electrically controlled t case (i quess it`s 243) on my Tahoe 96, so i have a question about it. I want to replace electrical encoder on a t case with manual shifter on the floor, is it realy possible (without replacing t case itself)? IMO manual shifter is more reliable for my truck (offroad, deep water etc.), than that encoder. And is there a neutral in t case with manual shifter? For my truck, with automatic transmission, in some cases it can be necessary.

Last edited: