transfer case rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello from Russia! I have an electrically controlled t case (i quess it`s 243) on my Tahoe 96, so i have a question about it. I want to replace electrical encoder on a t case with manual shifter on the floor, is it realy possible (without replacing t case itself)? IMO manual shifter is more reliable for my truck (offroad, deep water etc.), than that encoder. And is there a neutral in t case with manual shifter? For my truck, with automatic transmission, in some cases it can be necessary.
'

You can shift the 243 into nuetral, push the 2hi and 4lo button at the same time.

The 243 front case housing is different than the 241. It's possible to make it a manual shift as all the encoder does is manually move the shift collar, but there's no bolt on solution. You'll have to design and build a system with a lever or control cable and a machined block to bolt on in place of the encoder to seal the hole as well as hold the new method of actuation. A 241 would be easier since it is a bolt in swap, if you can find one over there.

F O X

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
I have all parts figured on the picture. If I understood wright, the main thing i have to do - is to connect linkage (7 on the pic.) to transfer case instead of removed encoder. Am I wright?
I`m not sure about 243 because i don`t know how to determine it. I only know that it has 2HI, 4HI and 4LO electrically controlled. It has no Auto4WD, and i tryed pushing the 2hi and 4lo button at the same time (to get the neutral), but it does not work.

Last edited:

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
okay so im sorry i havent been on here in a while ive been crazt busy with working 2 jobs and fixing the manditories on the truck but i just got under it today while changing an idler arm and took a pic on my tcase stamp, i posted it in my albums but it says 243 on the stamp, quick question for anyone who knows, the other day i took the actuator out of the front diff and had it hanging under the truck and then pressed 4hi, no movement, same for 4lo, i also had an extra one laying around and nothing for 4hi or 4lo, so i was wondering what the signal going into the actuator is supposed to be, i wanna measure the plug and see if there is a problem further back in the system or if its just two bad actuators