Trans flush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If anything I've hear brake fluid works too. I don't know for sure since I've never tried it

sent from my glade air freshner

Brake fluid, from what I've heard, just makes seals swell. From what I know, it is also very caustic and will possibly ruin any hard parts in the trans. Save brake fluid for where it belongs. It'll your wallet up.

In theory, it's a hydraulic system, any hydraulic fluid should work. I used machine hydraulic fluid in my Yukon when it sprung a leak one night at work.

Yes, but the trans fluid also lubricates the clutch packs inside. That's why friction modifier is added to gear oil in an LSD diff, so that the clutches don't chatter as they try to slip against each other.

I know it's toast. Just trying to put it off a little longer as this is my only vehicle to get to work in... I won't get any extra life out of flushing the fluid?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Your only hope now is Lucas. Get some and see if that can buy you some time to find another ride to use or save for a trans rebuild.

code

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn ok...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

kkirwan71

women problems
Reaction score
I know it's your only vehicle but I'd try to find another way to work while you save for a rebuild. Trust me i went through this about a year ago

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Brake fluid, from what I've heard, just makes seals swell. From what I know, it is also very caustic and will possibly ruin any hard parts in the trans. Save brake fluid for where it belongs. It'll your wallet up.

Yes, but the trans fluid also lubricates the clutch packs inside. That's why friction modifier is added to gear oil in an LSD diff, so that the clutches don't chatter as they try to slip against each other.

I agree with you, but for the OP, the time to do the right thing is long past lol. If it was me, I'd do nothing and put all my snake oil money toward a JY trans, but I doubt he can make it worse. Who knows though lol

beardeddummy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't flush it, whatever shavings are in there you need to leave them in... try Lucas, I've heard it works but not forever....

I just got a quote to rebuild my trans, $2,500. I know its still good but I'm getting ready

Geez man is that a built transmission or stock rebuild?

beardeddummy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Brake fluid and additives help stop up coolers when they decide to gel up. Id stay a way from it

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I've only bought 2, I built the rest myself. But my Monster was 1,100. My TCI was 1,500.

kkirwan71

women problems
Reaction score
My 700r4 was $1400 built pretty stout. Chirped 33s with regular driving

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I got a pretty nice performance oriented rebuild on my 4L60E for about $2600.

I agree with the general consensus here. If it's already slipping, any kind of fluid change is just going to make it worse. Rebuild time.