trailer wireing help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whitehoe

The Big Bad Tahoe
Reaction score
i have my grandpas trailer and im having trouble with the left turn signal not working and the other one works off and on can anybody shed some light no this issue?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
is his trailer light blown or wiring any good? need to see if you are getting power to that taillight.

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
check the connections in the plug too. i work at a trailer hitch shop part time and ive delt with a few trucks that were wired funky so it didnt match the normal color code. also what kind of plug is it? flat four, 96, 87?

Whitehoe

The Big Bad Tahoe
Reaction score
i know its not my truck cause when i hook up to my other trailers everything works its something on that trailer i have a 7 flat pin on my tahoe with a 4 pin adapter

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
you might want to check the connections in the trailers plug. sometimes the wires fray or the connection inside the plug is no good. if that doesnt work it may be a pain but you might want to run new wires to the signals. but deffinatly check wires for breaks or exposed parts and even the bulbs

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
More often than not, its a grounding issue. I just dealt with something similar on my jet ski trailer. Pull the grounds and clean the metal and terminal with a wire brush or sand paper. There is usually a ground near the plug at the front of the trailer and one by each light. Might not be a bad idea to check the ground on your truck too. Also, check for corrosion in the light sockets if cleaning the grounds doesn't work.

Arjumand

Reaction score
Assuming you have an automatic, the most economical thing to do is buy 3 gallons of house-brand DexIII and roll with it. You really don't need DexVI unless you want to pay more for it, it IS a better fluid though. Forget the large pan idea, waste of money. Invest in a large transmission cooler, something rated for +20KGVWR. You don't need MORE fluid, you just need to keep it under 210 degrees.

If you're not familiar with the cooler-line flush method, learn it. It's really as simple as pie. Pull the upper hardline going into the radiator, screw in a male fitting (IIRC it's 3/8), slide 6' of hose onto in and into a bucket, start the truck IN PARK and let the pump push the fluid out. Refill the pan with ONE GALLON of transmission fluid, then start the truck and let it pump that out. Pour in another gallon, repeat. Then you can screw the hardline back on, pour one gallon of fluid into the transmission and it should be at the correct level. That's the easiest way to completely flush the transmission, and I do it every 20K miles.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
Assuming you have an automatic, the most economical thing to do is buy 3 gallons of house-brand DexIII and roll with it. You really don't need DexVI unless you want to pay more for it, it IS a better fluid though. Forget the large pan idea, waste of money. Invest in a large transmission cooler, something rated for +20KGVWR. You don't need MORE fluid, you just need to keep it under 210 degrees.

If you're not familiar with the cooler-line flush method, learn it. It's really as simple as pie. Pull the upper hardline going into the radiator, screw in a male fitting (IIRC it's 3/8), slide 6' of hose onto in and into a bucket, start the truck IN PARK and let the pump push the fluid out. Refill the pan with ONE GALLON of transmission fluid, then start the truck and let it pump that out. Pour in another gallon, repeat. Then you can screw the hardline back on, pour one gallon of fluid into the transmission and it should be at the correct level. That's the easiest way to completely flush the transmission, and I do it every 20K miles.

I'm not so sure this will help with your trailer lights... LOL

I worked at truck accessory shops and a Featherlite dealership for years. I still have nightmares about diagnosing trailer lights :jester:
If you're 100% sure it's not your truck, just start at the 4 way plug on the trailer and work your way back. Check inside the plug to make sure it's not corroded - that causes a lot of issues. Then check the ground, that's usually the other culprit. Wiring on most flatbed trailers is **** unless you really buy an expensive one. Every trailer I've ever had I have usually rewired from scratch just so that I know it's done right. If you have to - buy a GOOD 4 way wiring kit and just rewire the entire trailer yourself if it looks old and falling apart. It's really easy.