TR-6060

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so I've been trying to figure out what trans I'm going with. I know for sure I want a 6 speed manual. I know that the LT1 style T-56 will bolt up to a SBC/BBC but how about the 6060. What are some of the differences in LT1 style T-56 Vs. the LSx style T-56 Vs. the T-56 Magnum/TR-6060 in Bolt pattern, Tail hosing, Input and output shaft, ect. This is going in a BBC truck and an LT1 T-56 is an almost direct swap, tailshaft matches, use LTx style clutch. The main reason I'd like to go with the 6060 is I found one really cheap $1500 shipped, and the newer beefier design and smooth shifting. From what I've read it's a superior design. Discuss...

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To my knowledge, the LSx based transmissions have a much longer input shaft due to the LSx not haveing the large flange on the back of the motor. On SBC's & BBC's there is a approx 2" flange around the back of the block. This basically 'shrouds' the flywheel. The LSx motors have the bellhousing attachment bolts directly to the back of the cylinder case. I understand the pass side mid bellhousing bolt is not installed on an LSx block. If a bolt is there, it will be in the #8 cylinder wall.

That said, there are some guys who have successfully mated an LSX trans to a Gen1/2 SBC or BBC. I just haven't seen it in person. I know the above info from looking at a freshly pulled 2002 WS6 T/A LS1/T56 dropout that had the motor & trans separated.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Well technically the 6060 is a little superior but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the T56. They used the 56 on Vettes and Vipers up until a couple years ago when they switched to the 6060. I know you can use an old school trans on the LS motors, but I'm not positive on using an LS trans on an old school motor. I would use an LT1 T56 if I were in your shoes.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm leaning towards jsut going the safe route and doing a LTx T-56. The 6060 are rated alot higher than the older T-56's and shift much smoother due to have double hubs compared to single hubs on the T-56 and triple syncros compared to double's on the T-56. They are pretty easy to find and guys are starting to put them in 4th Gen f body's but still bolted up to a LS style motor. I've heard that they are very similar to a T-56 Magnum, which I know can bolt to a BBC. I'm also thinkin of just buying a T-56 Magnum, brand new, and dropping it in. But it'd be about another $1000 or so, but they are stronger than the 6060's.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is an adapter plate available for LS-style T56s to go to a SBC/BBC...and I'd assume there must be for the 6060. A couple guys I know on NastyZ28 put the LS-style in their 2nd-gens using the stock 4spd bellhousing & clutch with an adapter plate. The stock clutch spline on an old 4spd is the same as a T56, so you'd have to verify a 6060 is the same. Those old 4spds had mechanical linkage though, and your truck would be equipped with hydraulic, right? Maybe a 3rd-gen 4spd bellhousing would work or something..otherwise fabbing mech car linkage in a truck might be a hassle. I believe there are aftermarket bellhousings available at this point for an LS-style T56 on a SBC/BBC and hydraulic clutch lines. I did mine in '07 and there wasn't then...but as you know mine is an LT1-style so it was pretty easy with just a retrofit flywheel.