TPI swap 101 the easiest, cheapest swap out there

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
I've looked into the swap before myself but they just play out really fast and I wasnt exactly thrilled about having to spend $400+ on the vortec to tpi intake. I'll be watching and good luck bro.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My TPI swap was on my 83 G20 van. I used 92 G20 accessories on it. Vortec accessories will not clear the TPI throttle body unless you do some creative relocation.
You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This was a TBI F/B car system that was also used on the later TPI F-bodies. They make brackets to adapt a Sanden in place of the trouble prone R4 compressor and a larger CS144 or AD244 will fit with a little work to the bracket.

One I saw done. Relocating the compressor is a must.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think an Indmar intake would be a better choice. TPI is pretty weak on the bottom end of the torque curve. Weak off-idle, GREAT in the midrange and falls off without porting and aftermarket runners in the higher end. Indmar manifold has roughly 50% longer runners than a Ramjet or LT1 intake. They offered it with two different uppers and both have a strong torque curve using factory vortecs and a fairly mild cam.

Weaker dyno was stock manifolds and the higher graph were using marine headers. Manufacturer dyno for the headers.

Bill C

Reaction score
Thanks guys, no offense intended but I didn't ask about indmar intakes. I am aware of the tpi limitations. I asked specific questions pertaining to the tpi intake and accessories used to swap the tpi into the GMT 400. The issue I have is the turbo headers I will use, will not work with accessories that stick out past the heads. I can make the tpi intake work if I get rid of the ac compressor with an ac delete pulley. But I was really hoping to keep ac. I am just doing a low rpm torque monster build. Tpi would help that. But if needed I have a Holley EFI single plane mpfi intake with 4150 throttle body and carb hat

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
The plan for me is stock TPI intake with a Fox body Mustang computer system so there are a few of us doing the TPI thing.