Toss the Heater Core Bypass?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joneserr

Reaction score
I have spent a considerable amount of effort on my 99 Suburban 5.7 Vortec to stop coolant leaks. Went from a heat hose leaking, to leaky water pump, to replacement radiator, to intake manifold gasket replacement and back to leaky heater hoses and connectors.

I am thinking of ditching all of the cheap plastic connectors with brass including the quick connect, getting some quality heater hose and clamps and replace it all so nothing but new hose, clamps and brass.

Can I just eliminate the plastic heater hose bypass? Perhaps put a manual ball valve in that I turn on in the summer to by pass the heater core?

Also I find that the worm drive hose clamps tend to back off and loosen over time. Am I better to use OEM style constant tension clamps?

Thanks!

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could eliminate the plastic without issue and replace it with a ball valve. I have never had an issue with worm clamps, and many OEM's use them to good effect. If you like the spring clamps, by all means use them. Nothing wrong with them, unless they crack and fall apart. Had that happen a couple of times, but I wouldn't call it a common problem.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This thread, and lots of other threads make me think about the time when there were almost no hoses and wires under the hood. Two heater hoses, a fuel line, two rad hoses, and maybe a vacuum line to the distributor and one to the power brakes.

So easy to diagnose, so easy to work on, and so little to go wrong.

joneserr

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I am going do it. I believe my problem with the hose clamps is I bought cheap. I have tried the Ideal brand clamps from Ace and they seem much better.

Yes, agreed on simplicity. I do however like EFI and electronic ignition compared to points and carb. After I replaced the spider injection with the upgrade is is a really nice engine. Just need to take care of the all the coolant leaks and hopefully this will do the trick.

The vehicles they are building in the last 10 years is getting way too complicated. Someone hacking into my car's computer and putting brakes on is going too far.