Toolbox??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackBeauty

No I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So next year I'll be going to school for Diesel and Heavy Machinery... I've decided it's time to start collecting tools and a box for all of them... What are you guys using for boxes?? My dream box is a Classic 78 Snap On rolling cabinet... I want a solid box that's a good starter... and as far as tools go... I'm thinking of going with either Craftsman (since I have a bunch already) or Snap On... For all my industrial tools and whatnot, I was thinking of going with Mac... What do you guys think?? Any suggestions or help is appreciated...

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
My father is a regional manager for Mac, I have lots of Mac goodies. I've had the same rolling Mac box for 7 years with no problems out of it whatsoever.

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I'm not a master mechanic by any means, but I have amassed a decent collection of tools. Personally I like the Harbor Freight stuff. I've got a smaller cart that I got on sale for like $160. I swear I've seen the same cart just painted different colors in the parts stores for $400 and more. They have some bigger heavier duty stuff that costs around $800 and can sometimes be had for cheaper. Personally I would start with something like this. When you've made some money and really want to get some expensive stuff, then go ahead and drop it and you'd still be able to sell your HF tool chests for decent money even being used. As far as starter boxes, I personally think HF can't be beat. Great quality(maybe not quite 5star quality like snap-on etc) and can be had at a fraction of the price. If nothing more I would tell you to at least go look at one.

You must be registered for see images attach

BlackBeauty

No I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I'm not a master mechanic by any means, but I have amassed a decent collection of tools. Personally I like the Harbor Freight stuff. I've got a smaller cart that I got on sale for like $160. I swear I've seen the same cart just painted different colors in the parts stores for $400 and more. They have some bigger heavier duty stuff that costs around $800 and can sometimes be had for cheaper. Personally I would start with something like this. When you've made some money and really want to get some expensive stuff, then go ahead and drop it and you'd still be able to sell your HF tool chests for decent money even being used. As far as starter boxes, I personally think HF can't be beat. Great quality(maybe not quite 5star quality like snap-on etc) and can be had at a fraction of the price. If nothing more I would tell you to at least go look at one.

You must be registered for see images attach

My father is a regional manager for Mac, I have lots of Mac goodies. I've had the same rolling Mac box for 7 years with no problems out of it whatsoever.
Thanks for the ideas, I will deffinetly check both boxes out... I'm open to any and all suggestions

illinoisboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You might go and see if you can get a special rate from the school. I know that my cousin got a special sale price on his tools since he was just starting school. I would just ask the instructors or maybe some of the people that go there. As far as tools go, you just need to ask around and see which ones you like best.

mudeater

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
me personally growing up in my uncles start from scratch mechanics shop. Don't start out blowing your money on the big name tools he didn't and still doesn't on low use tools (your starting out you don't want to be spending what money you make on tool payments) I'd get tools that are easy to replace with a lifetime warranty I have become a fan of kobalt our lowes has a no questions asked send a guy to grab it of the shelf return policy. Don't think I am knocking snap on or any BIG tool company they are great tools and worth the money I don't own anything but snap on ratchets. I just wouldn't start out with them once you start figuring out what you break the most start upgrading. But defiantly go with quality on the box they take a beating and keep going I recommend ball bearing drawers and a lot of them because if you organize like I do you run out of space. Our local Craigslist offers up some good deals I prowl it all the time looking to upgrade my box. My craftsmen works great I just need a bigger one. A friend of mine here swears by the waterloo's habor frieght sells says they are made by the same company that makes snap ons I have never researched it but I know is two roll arounds are full and with the ball bearing rollers like my craftsman work as well and have more space

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
^^^Is right about not blowing your money right away. I will say that I've had good luck with snap on, but I can't say that I like MAC tools. Their boxes are fine but I don't think their hand tools are up to *****. At least for what you pay. Save your money and get something that has a no questions asked policy.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
I've got Matco boxes but my most used tool carrier is my $80 AC Delco 2 tray open roll around. I do a lot of house calls and the thing has been worth its weight in gold. All of the big name boxes are nice, comes down to what you want to spend and what "status" you want to be seen as. I've got an assortment of every tool company there is. No question about it, Snap On Flank Drive wrenches are the best wrenches. I don't like Snap On ratchets. Truthfully my favorite ratchets are a couple of Great Neck push button deals. They have more catches than any of the others and are a nice, heavy build. A little bulky at the head. Best part is they are only like 15 bucks. I've got two and that is only because I thought I lost one. Had it since high school, works as well as ever. My favorite set of sockets is an S&K set. Were kind of high, but still cheaper than Snap On and Matco. The Snap On sockets have a thinner wall than most others and are still pretty bullet proof. The brand I've broken the most of are Craftsmen. I still have a ton of Craftsman tools and will continue to buy them. Cheap and warranty is no questions asked. Just inconvenient when they break because I have to go to Sears to have them replaced. I also have quite a bit of Blue Point stuff that has been nice. They are owned and made by Snap On but they are not made in the US. I have a few of their multimeters and some ratchet wrenches.

Edit- After you spend a while in the field you will notice the glamor techs. They spend more time wiping off their boxes than working on cars. My boxes are great, and I don't consider them abused, but they are absolutely well used and show it. They get dinged and scratched, just part of the game. Mine have also been relocated 5 times. Low end boxes are perfectly fine for most individuals but they don't last long when used in the field. Tools are heavy. Low end boxes have cheaper bearings and thinner metal while some have no bearings at all. On the cheap stuff the plastic wheels break, lower level panels dent and boxes contort all making it hard to open them. Right now there are thousands of great deals on nice boxes, some even loaded, due to the amount of techs out of work. I'd recommend buying used.

Last edited:

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
I have a lot of Matco tools. For tool boxes I have some old generic rolling style. And my jacks, jack stands and creepers are in a job box

vervepipes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since I have nowhere to keep a roller(and it would get stuck in the mud in the pick n pull), I have several smaller boxes. One for my metrics, standards, screwdrivers, hex and torx, riveting, pipe flaring and cutting, and so on... Easier to keep it on a shelving unit for me and take down the kit I need for a specific job.