took the bed off & now lights don't work properly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bamf93

Reaction score
Hey, what's up guys. Haven't been for on awhile & I'm actually posting this from my phone. So, here's the story. I've never actually did any type of work on a vehicle before, so yes I'm a newbie. Well, my fuel pump goes on my 93 & I have absolutely no knowledge on how to change it. So I call me uncle to come help me. Well we get the bolts off & we get the bed off. I didn't know that the tail lights had to be disconnected before removing the bed ,until I did research after the bed was put back on. Now my lights don't work properly. I can't drive @ night bc whenever I turn on my headlights, the tails don't lightup @ all, even when I step on the brakes. During the day, my tails work just fine. Now on to the signals, they work fine until I press the brakes, then they blink faster. I checked the boards, fuses, & bulbs & they all work. I don't wanna take it to a shop bc they'll charge $150 to remove the bed & $50 to run a test. I don't have the tools & idk what I would be getting myself into if I did have the tools...Uncle lives in Texas & won't be back for awhile...I feel like I just wrote a novel, buht that was everything...lol...

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
check that you hooked the ground back up. It's at the very back of the truck should be coming off the wiring harness that runs on the driver's side frame rail and connects the bumpers wiring harness. Sounds like you never hooked it up or it may have been ripped off when you lifted the bed up.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So wait when you pulled the bed up you just forced it, didnt unplug the taillight plug or plate lights. And there is also a ground for the fuel filler that needs to be disconnected.

bamf93

Reaction score
idk if he disconnected anything before we pulled off the bed...I wasn't there when he got some help to put it back on...

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea check all those out make sure everything is in tact and go from there.

There is also a ground wire on the frame in the back end somewhere.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the ground for my fuel pump is on the frame, now the filler neck ground was on the bed. The taillights on mine grounded to the bumper bracket, IMO sand them areas to bare metal and install a tooth washer and then bolt em down good. Make sure the wire to the ring terminal is good and has good contact, if unsure cut and splice on a new one. Make sure the plugins and pushed together all the way, and the wires are pushing into the back of them good.

99z28monster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just went through the same crap with my lights, I replaced the bulbs, circuit boards, headlamp switch and the final part to fixing everything was taking my ground off and reattaching. I cut the ground wire so fresh wire was showing than I put it under a washer which is on my bumper bracket. After that all was good.

bamf93

Reaction score
I just went through the same crap with my lights, I replaced the bulbs, circuit boards, headlamp switch and the final part to fixing everything was taking my ground off and reattaching. I cut the ground wire so fresh wire was showing than I put it under a washer which is on my bumper bracket. After that all was good.

yup, it was the ground wire....had to cut a fresh one...thankx guys...