tire wear question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whiplash473

Tyler
Reaction score
all that being said, at speeds above 70, i got a huge vibration in the front. whether or not it was balance, i dont know. the vibration did go away when under 70.

Something to look into, along with everything else that's been said, is the U joints. Sometimes it sounds dumb but I've seen/heard many stories about how someone has a vibration at a certain higher speed and they do this/that/the other to fix it and it ends up being a crap U joint.

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
when the tires were mounted, the guy said one of them needed ALOT of weight, i think it was 4oz, if thats alot. he said to put that one on the rear, just in case. but, it was one of the 2 that were in the best shape, ie: no cupping from the previous owner, so i put it on the front. the rears are already cupped pretty bad, from the first owner of the tires.

all that being said, at speeds above 70, i got a huge vibration in the front. whether or not it was balance, i dont know. the vibration did go away when under 70.

most everything on the truck was original when i got it, including 2 plugs.

4oz is a lot, generally that much weight means something is wrong with the wheel or more than likely the tire, the reason he put that one on the back is so you wouldn't feel it in the steering, and that's probably what's causing your vibration. That could also be causing some of your cupping.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Heavier wheel and tire combination + offset wheel = reduced effectiveness of both the spring and shock.

The tire and wheel are a lever and changing the distance between the pivot ( control arm mounting location ) and the outside of the tire changes the lever over the spring.

The job of the shock is to simply dampen the spring oscillation, when it can no longer effectively do that, the tire bounces as it rotates.

Given that Tenneco ( makers of Rancho and Monroe ) advise 50,000 mile replacement, it's certain yours are totally ineffective. It has been my experience that shocks can degrade even faster than the above stated number.
In layman's terms, try new shocks lol

satxwy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so.....all that being said, whats a good heavy duty shock most people get? rockauto shows monroe and delco to be close in price.
I've found the Bilstein HD (4600 I think) to be an awesome shock. I've got 65,000 on mine now and they're showing no signs of needing replacement anytime soon.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
X2 for Bilstein HDs. Put them on both of my trucks and I like them a lot. eShocks.com has the best prices last I checked.

http://www.eshocks.com/

I would not run Monroes personally, I've read a few reviews that say they're not very good at their job.