Tight steering Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
97 C1500 steering has suddenly gotten really tight, very hard to steer like I have no power steering.

weird part is its not leaking fluid, the power steering pump was replaced 60k ago, it doesent whine. all the steering components have under 15k miles on them and were replaced 3 yrs ago. I pulled the old fluid out and Put a cleaner in there, sucked that out, put in new power steering fluid in. steering still super tight.

so tight when I make a full turn it usually steers back once im going straight, I have to manually turn the wheel back straight, ive never had this problem.

Could it be the sensor on the pump?

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
If you have to manually turn it to go back straight, it might be in the gearbox. I wouldnt think its related to the ps system

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's definitely not what happened when my EVO sensor went out in the red truck. Steering gets easier when they go, and no issues pulling back to center.

I'd also say it's probably something more mechanical.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
Unplug the sensor on the column it will go full Boost. I did have one fail as you are describing.

alright cool, ill give it a shot. I unplugged it from the pump and nothing happened.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Maybe as a quick test, there is an adjuster but on the gearbox with an Allen socket, you could try backing it out a little to see if it makes it easier

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe as a quick test, there is an adjuster but on the gearbox with an Allen socket, you could try backing it out a little to see if it makes it easier
Sorry, that's bad advice. The gearbox isn't going to suddenly get tight when it's been fine prior, for all these years. And, that is only a small part of the adjustment procedure - improperly adjusting the gearbox will lead to bigger problems.

Big D, most likely your power steering pump is bad. The Vortec era trucks seem a little bit prone to this; the shaft actually shears off inside the pump but is still supported by the bearing, so it continues to turn...just no longer making any pressure. Pop your belt off and give the pulley a spin. If it has no resistance at all, there you go. It won't have much resistance to turn by hand even when it's good, but it should have *some* if ya know what I mean.

Richard

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
A steering system should still want to go back to center even if there is no power steering though

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
alright cool, at least I gotta couple things to check out.... thank you!