Tierod to heim joint conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bagged_96

Reaction score
I'm currently taking out my tierods and wanna put heim joint but don't know what size to get and where to get the sleeves. If anybody will help my or done this ill appreciate it

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Man I wish I could help you figure this out, but I have other projects going on at the moment after my roll over. Please save as much info on the sizes of everything you do because I will be making my own in the future and this will save me sooo much time.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I have a set of those. Had 'em sitting on a shelf for over a year before I went to install. Baer sent me the wrong ones! These are for an Impala. Had 'em too long to return. Prob is that the side that takes the original style end, which is not supplied, is too small for the truck's T.R.E.
The part #'s are very similar between the truck's & the Impala's. Only dif is that the last 2 #'s are switched around. Phone Baer before your order. Check that listing #, cause I ordered the ones for the truck. They sent Impala.
Now they've been on the shelf for 3 years.

Last edited:

cobalt

Reaction score
if your working on a heim joint i used the tierod to heim piece from speedway it allows for a 5/8 heim joint for the adjuster i used there tierod adjuster and used a heim i had that had a long shank on it ill see if i can post the adapter but the sleve will probably be diffrent lengths depending on the heim you use. its not a kit had to do the math and put one together. the adapter for the taper tierod to heim joint offers ajdustabilty to the height of the tie rod. or if you didnt want to go that way you can just get a sleave. with the heim on the end and drill out the spindle to hold a a straight bolt and use spacers to line the tierod up were you want it.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
They are to help in minimizing 'bump steer'. These trucks (& Impala's!) are prone to greater amounts of this when they are lowered.
Plus, due the altered angles of the control arms when using a shorter spring, a stock tie rod may have a tendency to bind as the suspension compresses. The heim's will eliminate that. The ends are also height adjustable via shims, in order to achieve better angles of the tie rod ends. (see pic) They also allow more articulation without binding, as the stockers will when used at more extreme angles than what the factory designed the suspension for. Dropped spindles aren't the prob. Short springs are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bump_steer

http://www.longacreracing.com/articles/art.asp?ARTID=13

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/...iPuqXWhdljmDJp3i8LMO219qgnBQ6cw9SZKVMdYvtzI2q

Just kind of a quickie overview. There are whole extensive articles out there on this.
When a vehicle's suspension is modified, lowered or raised, it throws out the window all that engineering geometry the factory designed. But stock is a compromise.
It's a typical modification house of cards. Do one mod...then you have to mod more stuff in order to make the first one work!

Last edited: