Tie Down Anchor Help/Ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have seen people use stuff called unistrut and I guess the Tacoma tie down cleats fit inside it so it's kind of a makeshift track tie down system

- Bryce -

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had to pull my bedliner out to help cut some weight down when I moved the bed to do my fuel pump so I plan on doing the unistrut/super strut stuff and fastening it to the front, middle, and back boxes that stick out and down about 8 inches from the top of the bed rail. I will post some pictures up when I get to it tomorrow. Could be a horrible mistake but I gotta try something to get some tiedown points. Any thoughts on sealing the area of the holes that I will have to drill to mount them? I would hate to have them rust because I didnt do anything.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK so there are two possibilities at this point. I can bolt them to the bottom of the bed which will be easiest or I can mount them on the side and bolt it to the boxes. The only thing I worry about is the strength of those boxes since they are welded to the bed. I don't want them to rip off if I crank straps down

Option 1
You must be registered for see images

Option 2

- Bryce -

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Kinedyne makes some very nice low profile milled aluminum tie down rails, they are used with their anchor rings that are moveable. The uni strut is a nice idea as well just a bit bulky. I don't think you would ever tear off the front or rear vertical post other than in a horrific accident.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I saw those but with the spots that I would want to use on a long bed it was pricey so I decided to risk the diy. Turned out to be a little bit of a pain

I tried to pull by bed caps off to gain access to the stake pockets but even with a heat gun the tape wouldn't budge. I resorted to drilling a hole in the side of the boxes to fit a nut and my wrench through and slid two 2 inch washers behind each nut for load balancing. The rear mounts for the tail lights were the biggest pain.

Here is the finished product. Seems pretty solid. I mounted them with the holes in because I hear the Tacoma bed cleats can fit in this rail. Seems pretty sturdy

- Bryce -

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
That's a cool idea look forward to seeing the toyota cleat idea

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2