Ticking sound under the driver door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Playare

Enter Custom User Title:
Reaction score
I noticed this a while ago but just figured it was my truck getting old (just about 243k miles) but today I figured i'd get out and look before I turned the truck off. I open the hood and I can't hear it. So I go back to my door to shut it off and there it is again.

I haven't looked under it since it's 100 outside and I just ran my truck for 20min. Any ideas as to what it could be? I know the fuel pump is right around there, anything else I should look at?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
exhaust leak....

Laws Yes! M O O N, that spells exhaust leak! Probably at the flange. It would help to put it on a lift and listen while it's running, or to get a length of hose and use it as a stethoscope all around the exhaust manifold.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Crank it and have someone hold their hand(s) against the exhaust tip(s) and listen around your exhaust, if it's a slight leak, you'll hear/feel it a bit....if it's a bigger leak, you'll feel air puffing out. That's how we test exhaust after install for leaks.

Playare

Enter Custom User Title:
Reaction score
Can this be anywhere from the manifolds to near the tip or will it be a specific place? I'll check it out tomorrow morning. Hopefully nothing big.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
If it's stock exhaust and it sounds like it's under the middle of your cab, then it could just be a pin-hole in the big single tube; oh I just noticed it's an rcsb, that location sounds like a rusted out section around muffler.

Playare

Enter Custom User Title:
Reaction score
Upon further inspection (crawling under the truck) the noise is coming from my cat. When I first turned it on there wasn't a noise because it wasn't warmed up I'm guessing.

What can I do?

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Is it a sound like there's something rattling around on the inside or loose metal/glass is vibrating against the bottom?

Playare

Enter Custom User Title:
Reaction score
It does sound like there's something rattling in there! What is it?

I'm not sure that's what's making the tick though?

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I dont think it would make a 'tick' sound either unless there was a hole around there that normally was covered in shrapnel but maybe opened up if the shrapnel moved. If your cat is making a scratchy rattle or sounds like grit sliding/rattling around, then the cat is prolly on it's way out.