Ticking sound. Possibly a lifter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
so you just splash a little bit of ATF in your oil as an oil addative? If I decide it's a lifter I'll try that. I'm due for an oil change so I can try it and if it doesn't work I wont add anything to the new oil after I change it (and get the problem fixed).

yea basically, there isnt like a exact amount, i just bought a litre of it, and put abit in, drove it around for 5 minutes and it went away. had to do it about once every two weeks.

Sepiroth

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're basically saying to use a broom stick as a mechanic's Stethoscope right? Why wouldn't I want to just buy this actual stethoscope It seems like it would work better than a broom stick and it's only $4.

Use and buy whatever you want...I was just offering a suggestion...Gotta admit though, didnt know those stethoscopes were that cheap.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I thought your broom stick suggestion was a great idea so it got me thinking and so I looked on Harbor Freight's website and I was surprised they were only $4. haha

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you changed your oil recently? I suggest doing that before going into something more severe.

I'm actually due for an oil change but I didn't think an oil change would magically fix it and so I was going to wait until I resolved the issue just in case I had to start tearing into the engine since I'd want to change the oil after I tore into it...

skills4lou

Reaction score
I've had great luck with Rislone engine treat for cleaning and quieting lifter noise. One quart of Rislone in place of one quart oil when you change it.
When I had my top end apart last summer (@136K miles) it was seriously clean in there. Looked like the engine had 5K miles. Had the mommy van apart this winter (144K miles) and it looked far worse. I'm now using Rislone in both engines, and I'll probably use it about every 3rd oil change or so. They say you can use it all the time, but at ~$10/quart I'm not gonna go crazy with it. Just be ready for seriously black oil that first change after you start using the Rislone.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've had great luck with Rislone engine treat for cleaning and quieting lifter noise. One quart of Rislone in place of one quart oil when you change it.
When I had my top end apart last summer (@136K miles) it was seriously clean in there. Looked like the engine had 5K miles. Had the mommy van apart this winter (144K miles) and it looked far worse. I'm now using Rislone in both engines, and I'll probably use it about every 3rd oil change or so. They say you can use it all the time, but at ~$10/quart I'm not gonna go crazy with it. Just be ready for seriously black oil that first change after you start using the Rislone.

I had honestly never heard of that. I don't usually change my own oil just because Jiffy Lube will do it for only slightly more than I could usually buy the oil and other supplies for and so it's pretty cheap when you consider my time. That's not to say I couldn't change my own oil every once in a while just for the purpose of using the Rislone.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
I've had multiple SBC's pull the annoying little tick when I :)nono: yes I slack on maintenance time to time :nono:) go over my allotted time, especially on these higher mileage motors. It always sounds like a stuck/crushed lifters and often happens after sitting over night after being worked hard, a fresh oil change is the first thing I do, but it may take ~50-60 miles for it to re-lubricate itself. :shrug: IMO try that before taking any drastic and costly measures.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
cool sounds like I may show up to Jiffy lube tomorrow with a bottle of Rislone and I'll just tell them to leave it a quart low so I can pour that in when they're done. It's only about a $50 gamble if it doesn't work and I have to rebuild it anyway.