Ticking sound. Possibly a lifter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
cool sounds like I may show up to Jiffy lube tomorrow with a bottle of Rislone and I'll just tell them to leave it a quart low so I can pour that in when they're done. It's only about a $50 gamble if it doesn't work and I have to rebuild it anyway.

Jiffy lube :eek:

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
I suggest staying away from Jiffy Lube or other quick change places like that, I'd rather see you take it to the dealer for roughly the same cost than light those cracked out high school kids near the truck.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I got my oil changed the other day and put the Rislone in. Ironically enough before the oil was changed the ticking had seemed to be going away much quicker than it was a week ago. This morning when I got in the truck to go to school it seemed to tick for the "normal" amount of time but when I left from my work the ticking was much quieter and only seemed to last for about 5-10 seconds. I've driven about 30 miles with the fresh oil and Rislone in so I'll see but it seems to be getting better. Oh and when I pulled the old oil filter apart it was full of lots of nasty black sludge so I think I probably just had/have sludge build up in one of the lifters that was keeping it from filling up with oil. Hopefully the fresh oil and the rislone will get it all cleaned out and I'll be back up and running. On a side note the engine seems to run smooth and overall it runs well... once that ticking goes away.

chevy_man

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another additive to try if you're bored is marvel mystery oil. The 258 in my dads jeep had horrible valve-train noise and once he started running that through every other oil change it quieted it down quite a bit. It's supposed to be good as a trans/motor cleaner and additive so I assume it's just got a ****-ton of detergents and lubricating agents in it.

I also notice that when I switched from conventional to full synthetic my first 2 oil changes the oil was black within a week, whereas normally it'd take a few months. It also quit leaking a quart a month and now only needs one every 6 months (I refuse to put a main seal in from under the truck).

And DO NOT let jiffy-lube service your vehicle. Your time to change it is good therapy and you know whats going into it. I caught the assholes here putting conventional in a company truck when the company always pays for full synthetic. Easy way to get your profit margin up. Along with not changing the air/oil filters which we've also had problems with.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just an update the ticking sound has seemed to get a lot better recently. This whole week I hadn't heard it but today I heard it when I had my window down right after it was started. I don't think I would have heard it if my window was up and it didn't last for very long. It certainly seems to be getting better. Maybe I'll seafoam it towards the end of the oil change interval...

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought a used Mazda MPV years back now I don't have it anymore but I started useing Castrol High Mileage oil and the ticking went away so this oil does have something in it that helps. Im now putting it in my truck I don't have a ticking sound but I figure it's good oil. You might want to try a valve cleaner sometimes they get dirt and a cleaner will fix them. GL

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
Jiffy lube :eek:

I suggest staying away from Jiffy Lube or other quick change places like that, I'd rather see you take it to the dealer for roughly the same cost than light those cracked out high school kids near the truck.

And DO NOT let jiffy-lube service your vehicle. Your time to change it is good therapy and you know whats going into it. I caught the assholes here putting conventional in a company truck when the company always pays for full synthetic. Easy way to get your profit margin up. Along with not changing the air/oil filters which we've also had problems with.

a big :word: on the suggestion to stay away from jiffy lube, I worked there for awhile and it is always shady no matter which one you go to. I can not count how many times they would let things slide that should have been taken care of. One time we had a pit guy who had been working with us for 2 years who accidentally drained the transmission instead of the oil then proceeded to fill the dif with ATF because he thought it was the transmission, that cost him a new trans and his job.

chipper

Reaction score
I joined this site because of ticking noise in 95 Suburban. I was told to adjust valves. I just finished and tick is gone!! It's not that hard. Valve cover has to come off so other stuff has to be removed or pushed aside. But once I found where the noise was originating under valve cover, I opened it up & adjusted the valve. I'm no mechanic so I looked up Utube videos to get some idea of what to do. It's working. Great site. Thank you!!