Ticking sound. Possibly a lifter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So my truck just recently started developing a ticking sound. At first it would go away quickly but this last weekend I drove it to the ski hill and on the way back it never stopped. Me and My dad suspect a bad valve lifter but that's just our best guess right now. We can't think of anything else that would make that sound and (usually) stop after a few minutes.

Any ideas?

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be an exhaust leak that would stop once the pipes warmed up and expanded........or a lifter...

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sometimes those little tick's can be hard to diagnose without really digging in to it.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah I think it's going to be more work than I want to tackle myself. I'm not as good as a mechanic as most people here and my dad's been out of the loop for so long he's not comfortable digging that deep into an engine anymore. So I'll probably have to take it to my mechanic. But I still like to try to learn as much as I can.

Sepiroth

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can do a lil bit of pre diagnosing yourself. Using a broomstick, place the end on one valve cover and move the broom stick fore and aft, listening to see if the ticking resonate through the broom stick. Do this to both sides and see what you come up with. If the sound is under a valve cover, remove the valvecover and investigate further.

Also you can use the broomstick to check and see if any belt driven acessories are causing the noise.

This might save you some money in the long-run

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're basically saying to use a broom stick as a mechanic's Stethoscope right? Why wouldn't I want to just buy this actual stethoscope It seems like it would work better than a broom stick and it's only $4.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
try that, and if you conclude its a lifter, you can put a LITTLE bit of ATF into your oil, it will make the lifter quiet again, ive gone through this one my ford.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so you just splash a little bit of ATF in your oil as an oil addative? If I decide it's a lifter I'll try that. I'm due for an oil change so I can try it and if it doesn't work I wont add anything to the new oil after I change it (and get the problem fixed).