Throttle Body Bearings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sideburnz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am working on a 1999 Tahoe 2DR 2WD. I am in the process of porting & polishing the stock vortec throttle body along with a few other mods.

I have decided I would like to have the throttle body powder coated So what I would like to know can you replace the throttle body bearings? If not will the bearings survive the powered coating process?

Thank You

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
FWIW.... There are kits out there that include a ream and brass bushings. Those get installed in/on the throttle plate shaft. That will make everything like new. I am going to do mine after I get laid off for the winter. I think those kits are in the $40 range. If yu are going to all that work, I would install new bushings.

Ken

Sideburnz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would anybody happen to have a link to one of these kits?

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You need to mask off the parts you dont want powder coated. If you dont, the powder will bond to those areas.
Watch a few videos on how powder coating works.
The powder basically clings to the surface due to the electrical charge and is then cooked in an oven.
Any part that needs a precise fit needs to be masked off or the powder coat will need to be mechanically removed afterwards
And thats when the trouble starts.
Ive rejected aerospace parts that had a full 1/4 of an inch of powder coat build.
Several times.
And, that **** is hard as concrete and makes re-machining it a ***** and clogs up tooling and chips cutting teeth

Sideburnz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both bearings came out without much issue and very little effort! A small screwdriver and a few well placed strikes with a ballpeen and they're out. Both bearings have manufacture and part numbers on them. Will start a search later today and let you know what I discover!