Thinking about an engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Right now I have a 96 GMC k1500 single cab short bed with a 5 speed and a 305, and I was thinking that dropping in a diesel would be pretty nasty. The truck I would take the engine out of is a chevy c3500 cheyenne dump truck with a 6.5 turbo, I think it's a 98. A guy brought the dump truck down a couple years ago and asked my dad to patch some rust in the dump bed, but pretty much lost interest in it and it's been sitting in our driveway for at least 7 years. It needs a lot more body work now that it's been sitting so we're going to see if the guy just wants to scrap it and I'd keep the engine. I was just wondering how hard it would be to do the swap, or if it's even worth doing? Also I'd like to keep it a standard but I'm pretty sure the transmission I have wouldn't work, what transmission would I have to get? and would I have to upgrade the rear axle and everything too?

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pick up a Cummins 4BT. Same as the 6BT in the Ram but 2 less cylinders. Depending on what adapter plate is on the engine, if any, you could bolt your NV4500 right to it or with a Dodge bell housing you could re-use the NV4500. Killer mileage with that combo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A 1500 typically has a NV3500 which will quickly become scrap metal behind any diesel. Take it from 6.5 owner. Don't waste your time and money on a 6.5. The metal is weak, they overheat fairly easy, the electronics were sketchy and honestly the power sucks. We bought this truck with 83K on it knowing that when (not if) it dies, we will do a cummins swap.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try telling all that to the two people that think 6.5TD's are good engines! :gr_grin:

Richard

They aren't horrible but I would never swap to one from anything else. If you are truly dedicated (like GW) you can make good things happen with a 6.5 but you would be better off starting with a better platform.

Reaction score
I did a little research and it looks like most people don't think the 6.5 is a very good engine. And I looked at the cummins 4bt and I think it's a little small. If I go through the trouble of swapping the engine I'd like to get one that has a little more power than the 305. Is there any other diesels that wouldn't be too hard to drop in?

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The nice thing about the 4BT is it can make decent power on mechanical injection, and it keeps the weight down. The 6BT is great but it's heavy and your 1/2 ton front suspension probably wouldn't support it. An electronic cummins, duramax, or PS would be a wiring nightmare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
If you want more power, go with a 4.8/5.3/6.0. Check out Ls1truck.com for more details on the swaps.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why a diesel are you pulling heavy loads ? There is a lot of after market 5.7 (350 or 383 ) stuff that would be a very easy swap. Check out PMCmachine.com They have a 383 that is a direct replacement with 370 H.P. and 7 year, 70,000 mile warranty for around $2500.

Reaction score
I didn't even consider the weight before, but now that I think about it the cummins 4bt sounds like it would be a good swap. Also it will probably be easier to drop in an engine that's a little smaller, and I looked up the power specs and they're pretty close. From what I can tell the 4bt makes a little more torque and a little less horsepower than the 305. That's really what I'm looking for, I'm not too worried about how fast the truck is, but more torque would be nice for just messing around doing burnouts and stuff, and I might pull a trailer once and a while. If I do go that route I'd probably run the NV4500 transmission, would I be able to use the same axle and everything or would I have to beef it up a little to handle the added torque?