Think I have a ECM problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

draginlow

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 91 Chevy dually with a tbi 454 and auto 4L80. When I got the truck the guy told me at times the chip in the ECM gets lose and the trans will shift funny. I drove it for over a year before I had a problem. I was driving one day hulling a trailer loaded and I hit a bump. The truck downshifted and engine light came on. Trans acted like it was In default. Shifting vary hard and high in the rps's. When I got home I removed the chip. It's a jet prom chip. I plugged it back In and drove it for a few more months. It happened two more times. Last time I took a work glove and shoved it in there and zip tied it together lol. Had no problems. Now what's happing is the truck has a Random misfire at times. Did a full tuneup and same problem. The trans is acting funny too. It will hunt for a gear like at 45 mph. It was downshift then shift back a lot. Same on the highway. Trans oil is clean and topped off. Trans has only 20k on it and it's a gm certafit trans. I feel my ECM or the chip is going. I know the chips are burnt for my specific setup so were can I get a stock chip? I ready don't care for this setup because the trans shifts hard. Sorry for the long story lol. Thanks for any info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
First check for trouble codes.

Stock chips for a 7477 can be burned by most chip tuners. Might still be available at the dealer.

I've never liked anything jet built or sells. Too much focus on profit, not enough on the hobby....

draginlow

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No codes right now when it's jumping around. But when
the trans was dropping into default and engine light was on I had a tps code. But when you push the chip back in its gone. I replaced the tps sensor anyway because I had a dead spot in the pedal. If I search that chip number you gave can I just get a used one? Or we're is a good place to have one burned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk