The VIN decoder says my truck has a 4L70 transmission, that's not right is it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Problem is, backing plates to put bigger brakes on the 10-bolt axle are tough to come by.
Wouldn't a 1500 Suburban rear be a good donor for this? They're JB6 by default AFAIK. And the rears themselves are usually toast from hauling the full weight of a Suburban around for all those miles.. brake goodies should be useful, though.

It seems my '92 C1500 extended cab longbed had the same setup. Big brakes out back. Truck already had plenty of owners and a ton of miles on it when I bought it back in '99 though so whether it was the original rear end is a tough call. I don't think I have the SPID label anywhere to refer to.

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Wouldn't a 1500 Suburban rear be a good donor for this? They're JB6 by default AFAIK. And the rears themselves are usually toast from hauling the full weight of a Suburban around for all those miles.. brake goodies should be useful, though.

It seems my '92 C1500 extended cab longbed had the same setup. Big brakes out back. Truck already had plenty of owners and a ton of miles on it when I bought it back in '99 though so whether it was the original rear end is a tough call. I don't think I have the SPID label anywhere to refer to.

Richard
Eclb might've got the JB 6 on account of weight. But yeah, there are lots of C1500 Burbs in the yards with rear axle still in them, around here at least.

haroldwca

Reaction score
With respect to the OP's original question, it should be easy to tell which transmission you have. The decoder says 4L70"E" (emphasis added on the "E"). If you have the 4L60, it would not have been electronic in 1992 (not a 4L60E, but just a 4L60). So the easy question is: does your throttle have a TV cable attached to it? If so (and it probably is), then you have the 4L60/700R4. It's useful, fun, and sometimes frustrating using the online decoders. As many others here have said, some of the info is just plain wrong.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With respect to the OP's original question, it should be easy to tell which transmission you have. The decoder says 4L70"E" (emphasis added on the "E"). If you have the 4L60, it would not have been electronic in 1992 (not a 4L60E, but just a 4L60). So the easy question is: does your throttle have a TV cable attached to it? If so (and it probably is), then you have the 4L60/700R4. It's useful, fun, and sometimes frustrating using the online decoders. As many others here have said, some of the info is just plain wrong.

Absolutely would have been the easiest way to check, when I made the post the truck was at the shop where it's been since March (and where it is again after having it home all of one day.) One of the things I had to fix after I got it home actually was the tv cable being floppy loose.

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a 1992 blazer Silverado, I know it's a 4 speed auto and that's about it. I'd never even heard of the 4L70, and I'm not sure if I'm reading this right or if it's saying that was an option on diesels (which this one isn't). Quick Google search says the transmission started in 1992 in some GM suv's, but I've always heard I had a 60

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GriffisClnCo