THE TRUTH ABOUT EGR'S

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
This is long and complex so hang with me, I have to explain several theories before getting to how the EGR affects the engine
Ok!! Here is the truth about EGR’s. Within the internal combustion gasoline engine there is a small problem, it is what I call “HEAT SOAK”. This Heat Soak will melt your pistons into a very large aluminum slug. A gasoline feed flame can reach as much as 2400 degrees F, most pistons give it up around 600F. Now I ain’t real savvy on some of this, but my math says I’m in trouble real fast like. So the brainyacks on mahogany row decided to use a little of nature’s own remedy. Almost all liquid’s known to man, naturally Draws heat to itself. During this process “ if intense heat is involved” the liquid is transformed “generally” into steam, thus carrying the heat into the exhaust system away from the pistons and block before it can be “soaked up”. The heat is then released via the exhaust pipe, through both convection and dumping at the tailpipe.
Now how is all of this accomplished?? You ASK? It is accomplished by a simple process known as “FUEL DUMPING” . That is we dump more gasoline into the chamber than what there is oxygen to support for a complete efficient burn. Thus the unburned fuel then becomes our “heat courier” in the form of steam.
Is everybody still on the same page? I sure hope so!!!
Ok now for the EGR’s roll,
Modern EGR’s are modulated; meaning the opening and closing are regulated in percentages, and is constantly being tweaked by the ECU. The NOX that is released into the intake system is put there to take up some of the clean oxygen’s place during low loads and deceleration thus allowing the ECU to throttle back on the amount of fuel it Is being dumped and the amount of fuel that is actually being used in low or no load situations. Hence better fuel economy! the NOX also helps difuse some of the flames heat, thus extending the life of the cylinder walls
In the early years of EGR’s you could get better millage by deleting them because they were either open or closed and normally stuck open, causing a ton of issues.

any questions? :evillol:

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
eh i still deleted mine, no change in fuel economy but mine was stuck open causing bad idle and wouldn't hold vac.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just took a quick glance at your info, I'll have to read it closely later, but one thing that sticks out to me and is a bit misleading is your use of the term 'heatsoak'...typically heatsoak refers to underhood heat soaking metal or less insulated intake ducting and causing incorrect IAT readings. not that the term is exclusive to that or anything, but it might be misunderstood by people reading what you wrote.

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
Just took a quick glance at your info, I'll have to read it closely later, but one thing that sticks out to me and is a bit misleading is your use of the term 'heatsoak'...typically heatsoak refers to underhood heat soaking metal or less insulated intake ducting and causing incorrect IAT readings. not that the term is exclusive to that or anything, but it might be misunderstood by people reading what you wrote.

technicly you are right, maybe I could have said heat convection?? but should have said heat transfer? heck I don't know, like I said "hillbilly" so lets not split hairs here, just understand what I was tryin to say. it is all theory anyway.

Aloicious: I was told to contact you about the 411 swap, and 411 tech stuff. is this true?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Aloicious seems to be the man on everything and knows alot so I would think yea he's the guy for the info on the gear swap.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, like I said its really just semantics, but I didn't want people getting confused or anything.

heh 411 is a PCM swap, shoot me a PM or something (I dont want to derail your thread here), but I can probably help you out.
this is my writeup on it over on my site if you haven't seen it before:
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/12200411.html

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Lol, that's a start but far from the entire story.

When you start getting into tuning logic on GenI engines, specifically when it comes to tuning for mileage, you'll get a brand new education in the proper function of EGR. There are dramatic increases in efficiency to be had, not so much from introducing inert gas into the combustion chamber, but from reducing the pumping loss of an engine cruising at part throttle. It will make you go crazy thinking about it, trust me. Been there :rofl: