The Subwoofer Box Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Nice.
Now you got me thinking of doing something similar.
I just have one four channel amp to deal with.

Just make sure your rear window is sealed up good and water tight.

Water on the floor boards or running down the rear wall will make a mess of it all in quick time....

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I got a new in box MTX thunderform ( roto-molded textured plastic enclosure ) off a local guy, traded him an older home stereo amp for it. He bought a few of them years ago, and never sold them all. The driver frame cut out was smaller than the Alpine SWE-10S4 I bought to fit in it, so I had to make a spacer out of 1/8th inch baltic birch and glued it to the box with urethane adhesive.

This box has very limited depth, the motor backplate is very close to the top of the box, but it fits fine with the spacer. I washed the box with hot soapy water after the picture ( test fit ) and then sprayed it with blue basecoat ( custom match ) to the rest of the interior. Fits like a glove. I should take a few pics next weekend of the box and how it fits in the truck.
You must be registered for see images attach

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Just a thought, since I couldn't find a JL Audio stealthbox for the truck ( the one that replaces the center console.... ) I may raise the center console slightly and build a fiberglass enclosure inside of it, but keep the functionality of the swing out cup holder, etc but with very limited storage under the lid.

Of course, the truck I bought was a gov't issue unit that didn't have a center console from factory, so I found a grey one locally.

Thoughts? I would also like to add a few USB charging ports as well as 12V outlet plugs in the console at the rear, thinking maybe even a small inverter for the backseat area with a plug in the drivers side plastic above the floor near the pocket in the backseat. I picked up 2 of the Alpines for cheap, figured I would sell one locally, but may end up with both in the truck.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Picture of the MTX Thunderform under the seat.

mchlgriffith

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
they also have these replacement center console sub enclosures and they are really easy to find, u can order them loaded, amplified, or empty so u can add your own stuff. im pretty sure they come in all the interior colors too. i was oging to grab one but i got a smokin deal on a JL Audio TW513.5 with a custom box for my crew cab so i just went with it. im still thinkin about getting buckets for the rear and buying two of these so ill have matching consoles in the front and rear with subs in both.

http://www.amazon.com/MTX-Thunderfo...nclosure/dp/B0002EVMGU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_34

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
they also have these replacement center console sub enclosures and they are really easy to find, u can order them loaded, amplified, or empty so u can add your own stuff. im pretty sure they come in all the interior colors too. i was oging to grab one but i got a smokin deal on a JL Audio TW513.5 with a custom box for my crew cab so i just went with it. im still thinkin about getting buckets for the rear and buying two of these so ill have matching consoles in the front and rear with subs in both.

http://www.amazon.com/MTX-Thunderfo...nclosure/dp/B0002EVMGU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_34

Right on... I didn't know you could find these any more, especially one without a driver. The cosmetics are different than stock though... I have seen one in person. Texture and feel of the plastic is also a lot different... to be honest I would rather spend the time and modify a stock console... as it looks correct, in my case I am going for a stealth approach. Stock H/U with slave CD player and a LOC will feed the signal to the rest of the system.

Dszx13

ragged out Z71
Reaction score
I ordered mine from carjamz.com. 2 12" forward fire for under the seat. Shipping was fast an fit like a glove. I now have it in my gmt-800 an still love it. Lol

Sent from my Ragged Out Z71

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
has anyone ordered from any of these sites? I'd like to know if they are reliable sites or not before I order a box. I'm thinking this one:
http://www.halfpricecaraudio.com/Ch...-12-Custom-Sub-Box-Sealed-Enclosure-Black.htm

I have the same box but I ordered it from sonic electronics for about the same price.
Make sure you install a 12" sub that has a recommended sealed enclosure volume close to that box (.90 cubic foot).
I used a Pioneer TS-W301R 12" sub and I had to take the plastic magnet cover off in order for it to fit (sub was too deep). It called for a 1 cubic foot sealed box but I figured it was close enough especially after I lined the box with poly-fill.
The sub does really well, very tight and accurate bass. It requires a little more power than a ported box though. I have 200 watts going to it.