The Stupid Lift Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mudtruck89

Reaction score
Would I also need taller shocks ? I have Monroe Gas Matic shocks on the rear and rough countrys on the front that come with the trucks when I bought it

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Would I also need taller shocks ? I have Monroe Gas Matic shocks on the rear and rough countrys on the front that come with the trucks when I bought it

Yes if you do a diff drop kit youll need longer shocks

mudtruck89

Reaction score
ok and im pretty sure I need new ones on the front anyway cause I have no idea how long they've been on there

Reaction score
Alright stupid lift question time:

My '92 has a 2" (?) drop shackle on the rear. Can I flip that thing over and use it as a lift shackle?

Stupider question: Can I throw a 2"-3" block in the rear with that lowering shackle on there and not have to worry about pinion angle and all that fun stuff?

Just trying to figure out what to do with the rear of this truck. 4" spindle is going on the front, and just want the rear sitting around stock height, maybe an inch higher. Very budget build, just trying to get the thing up a little!

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Alright stupid lift question time:

My '92 has a 2" (?) drop shackle on the rear. Can I flip that thing over and use it as a lift shackle?

Stupider question: Can I throw a 2"-3" block in the rear with that lowering shackle on there and not have to worry about pinion angle and all that fun stuff?

Just trying to figure out what to do with the rear of this truck. 4" spindle is going on the front, and just want the rear sitting around stock height, maybe an inch higher. Very budget build, just trying to get the thing up a little!

No you cant do that get a stock shackle and youll be setting stovk in the rear then you can sell the drop shavckle to pay for some 2 inch blocks

sent from my outdated S3

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response! Puts my mind at ease. Off to the junkyard for some shackles then

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response! Puts my mind at ease. Off to the junkyard for some shackles then

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

yep they should be VERY cheap as they arent a part that people buy often

sent from my outdated S3

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
Okay, I've heard so many different things about people running 285/75's.. Do I or don't I need to lift my truck to fit these? I've heard a lot of people say that you can run them on stock suspension no lift needed with out trimming anything, these people report no rubbing even when off roading. I've heard how its required by others to trim your bumpers to fit these tires, and finally I've heard that you need atleast a 2inch lift to clear 285's.

I've heard all sorts of these things on various internet sites and people i've actually talked to, but i've never actaully seen this setup in person to know for myself, but if anyone could clear my confusion here that would be well appreciated!! Because I'm looking to put 285's on my truck, and if a lift is required I found a nice 2 inch block lift with new torsion keys on Zoneoffroad.com that I'll get if i have to.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Okay, I've heard so many different things about people running 285/75's.. Do I or don't I need to lift my truck to fit these? I've heard a lot of people say that you can run them on stock suspension no lift needed with out trimming anything, these people report no rubbing even when off roading. I've heard how its required by others to trim your bumpers to fit these tires, and finally I've heard that you need atleast a 2inch lift to clear 285's.

I've heard all sorts of these things on various internet sites and people i've actually talked to, but i've never actaully seen this setup in person to know for myself, but if anyone could clear my confusion here that would be well appreciated!! Because I'm looking to put 285's on my truck, and if a lift is required I found a nice 2 inch block lift with new torsion keys on Zoneoffroad.com that I'll get if i have to.

First and foremost do not buy lift keys. As for the tires fitting it all depends on the rims

sent from my outdated S3

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
I'll be keeping my stock 16 inch rims, most guys who say that you don't need to lift or trim said keeping the stock rims helps but again i've also heard stuff that contradicts that