The Stupid Lift Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thunderstruck20

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the lift springs would be a better option?

Not necessarily. Shackle flip can keep the same payload capacity where lift springs, especially soft rides, sacrifice capacity for ride quality. If you want a 2.5-3" lift go with add-a-leafs. Increases capacity by about 1500 but it is a bit stiffer ride. All depends on what you haul

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On a regular basis, nothing substantial. Right now it's just the spare parts that I still need to put on the front end once I get the frame horn straightened out, but other than that, it's generally empty. I dont even have my third row in.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Shackle flip is better for hauling hands down

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

Thunderstruck20

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That all depends. If you want original ride quality and aren't gonna overload the stock capacity then yes shackle flip is better. Ive overloaded and snapped stock 1 ton leaf springs before so I went with add-a-leafs and got a much rougher ride but almost a ton more capacity. But like I said, it depends on how much you're hauling

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

MonteMan

Reaction score
Perfect thread for my stupid lift question.. On my performance accessories lift there is 13 large spacers and 3 small. Instructions say that the small spacers go in the mounts behind the rear axle. That would be 4 spots but only 3 of the small spacers. Before I loctite my bolts down tomorrow could someone please give me some advice here.

BTW 2nd post here. I have lurked around other forums but just recently found this OBS site and its great to find specific info on these trucks. Just recently picked up a 98 ecsb z71. Real nice truck it just had/has some minor issues to work out but I got a good deal.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Perfect thread for my stupid lift question.. On my performance accessories lift there is 13 large spacers and 3 small. Instructions say that the small spacers go in the mounts behind the rear axle. That would be 4 spots but only 3 of the small spacers. Before I loctite my bolts down tomorrow could someone please give me some advice here.

BTW 2nd post here. I have lurked around other forums but just recently found this OBS site and its great to find specific info on these trucks. Just recently picked up a 98 ecsb z71. Real nice truck it just had/has some minor issues to work out but I got a good deal.

Honestly it doesnt really matter i use the small ones to compensate for that rivet that is through the frame

MonteMan

Reaction score
ok next question(s). sorry I only get like an hour a day to work on my projects with kids and work.

- the fan shroud. from what ive seen on the forums alot of people just trim their lower fan shroud to clear the fan. does anyone have a picture or advice on the proper way to do this with the extension bolts. I would like to retain the "air tunnel" and fiberglass around the extension part to keep air flow at its max.

- 2nd question. on the steering shaft extension. I know (from trying to research the forums) it is the common practice that the extension is not necessary. I have it separated but I cant get the bottom male piece to go into the upper female end. I see that it is a telescoping shaft, does that mean that either the upper or the lower should compress a bit into itself to allow clearance.

Thanks in advance for answering my "stupid lift questions" I am just a guy with some tools and a garage, no mechanic by anymeans. By the time i get home and get everyone fed its usually getting dark. My issue stands with Performance accessories and their instructions. They reference to parts that they call a different name in the parts list and their black and white pictured instructions are a joke