The Stupid Lift Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buckanator

Reaction score
Depends how long you're planning on keeping the truck and how much of the work you do yourself...To have a lift kit installed it will cost you probably somewhere around $2000. For that you could replace front end parts yourself at least 5 times over. But if you plan on keeping the truck forever than the suspension lift kit will be worth it and you won't have to worry about front end parts breaking (as much).

Well if installing a lift kit and following directions is as easy as everyone makes it out to be then I'll just put it in myself, but I'm not the experienced mechanic, not by a long shot, so I don't think that'd be a good idea. And I plan on keeping the truck for a while because I love it. My parents are trying to convince me to sell it, saying its a money pit, bad on gas, etc. but its my first car and I'm pretty hesitant to sell it. But , $2000? Just for installation, or parts too? I was looking into the RXC 4 inch lift which is around $900. Could I fit these 33's without trimming with anything less than a 4 inch lift though?

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Well if installing a lift kit and following directions is as easy as everyone makes it out to be then I'll just put it in myself, but I'm not the experienced mechanic, not by a long shot, so I don't think that'd be a good idea. And I plan on keeping the truck for a while because I love it. My parents are trying to convince me to sell it, saying its a money pit, bad on gas, etc. but its my first car and I'm pretty hesitant to sell it. But , $2000? Just for installation, or parts too? I was looking into the RXC 4 inch lift which is around $900. Could I fit these 33's without trimming with anything less than a 4 inch lift though?

$2000 was for the RCX kit and installation...if you just want to fit 33's, you could remove the block and de-crank the front and they will fit fine with just the body lift

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Yeah, my 305/75R16's fit without rubbing before the body lift too, but he want's to keep front end parts from wearing out faster from cranking so that's why I suggested leaving the BL on to fit 33's

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Ah, I see. I cranked probably an inch or so, but I'm going to replace the whole front end anyway. So for now its fine.

Sent from Jolly Green's Droid

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if you just want to fit 33's, you could remove the block and de-crank the front and they will fit fine with just the body lift

This would be the best/cheapest option, may have to trim a little on the bumper valence but with the decrank it will keep the front end parts lasting much longer. Also with the decrank you shouldnt have to replace the torrsion bars either

Buckanator

Reaction score
$2000 was for the RCX kit and installation...if you just want to fit 33's, you could remove the block and de-crank the front and they will fit fine with just the body lift

I might do that for now and just save up and get the RCX kit later.

Jeremiah6.5

Reaction score
I have a 1992 K2500 4x4 single cab, 6.5L Turbo Diesel and cannot find a lift anywhere for some reason....I'm really wanting to do a 6 inch lift in the spring can somebody point me in the right direction or have any suggestions....rough country emailed me back saying they do not make one for my truck, and the other companies have yet to reply....I think I may have found one through Tuff Country but still not sure about if it fits for a diesel truck..

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
No reason you can't use whatever suspension lift you want, just make sure its a 3/4 ton lift kit. 6.5s can't be body lifted (easily anyway) due to cooling issues.

Thunderstruck20

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kind of a dumb question but I've been looking for rear leafs for my '91 k2500 SAS. I am buying 4" front leafs from a buddy and want to know if there are 4" rear springs for 88-98 because every kit I've seen has had blocks. If there are such springs, I'm assuming they arent as strong as stock 3/4 ton leafs? The reason for 4" leafs is that I already have 4" blocks for the rear because of the SAS. any input helps, thanks.