The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You got me there. But I still think that's being generous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

senja

Reaction score
You can't advance the timing on this TBI engine. To set the timing, you adjust (rotate) the distributor to 0 degrees. You'll need a timing light to do this. Before starting to set the timing, you'll need to disconnect the Electronic Spark Timing system. Remove the relay cover on the firewall, and unplug the connector with the tan wire with black stripe. Loosen the bolt on the hold-down bracket on the distributor. You want to be able to rotate the distributor. Attach your timing light. Start the engine. As the engine is running, aim the timing light on the damper and the timing tab. It's easier if you have a helper to hold the timing light while you gradually rotate the distributor. When the timing light flashes when the timing tab is on the line of the damper you're there. Turn off the engine, tighten the hold-down clamp on the distributor, reconnect the EST connector (brown wire w/black strip). Clear any trouble codes.
The reason you can't alter, change, or advance the timing is because it is regulated by the ECM computer.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't advance the timing on this TBI engine. To set the timing, you adjust (rotate) the distributor to 0 degrees. You'll need a timing light to do this. Before starting to set the timing, you'll need to disconnect the Electronic Spark Timing system. Remove the relay cover on the firewall, and unplug the connector with the tan wire with black stripe. Loosen the bolt on the hold-down bracket on the distributor. You want to be able to rotate the distributor. Attach your timing light. Start the engine. As the engine is running, aim the timing light on the damper and the timing tab. It's easier if you have a helper to hold the timing light while you gradually rotate the distributor. When the timing light flashes when the timing tab is on the line of the damper you're there. Turn off the engine, tighten the hold-down clamp on the distributor, reconnect the EST connector (brown wire w/black strip). Clear any trouble codes.
The reason you can't alter, change, or advance the timing is because it is regulated by the ECM computer.

You can change the base timing, no different than adjusting the timing on a carbed engine. The computer relies on the base timing being mechanically set to 0 degrees so that it has a known point to reference. Advancing the distributor advances the entire curve, adding to both the base and total timing. That's why some have the "running hot" issue when they advance the distributor, as they have over advanced timing under load. The only thing that can actually change the timing curve is a tune, which is what I think you are referencing.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

Zabo

Reaction score
Eh, so anyone have the following:
Fouled plugs
Corroded distributor
Corroded battery cables
TBI stuttering

1995 Chevy Tahoe Blazer K1500. LO5/4L60E/3.42 gearing. Was sent to Majestic of Saginaw for the conversion van treatment as well as having a Sirius receiver installed.

And after changing all but the battery and battery cables I get severe draw via the blinker relay and the stuttering remains? It's on startup and when the engine is cold. After it warms up it'll hold 500-750rpm idle but have an occasional stall at the stop light. Throwing it in neutral allows it to idle and rev normally, no bogging.

I'd say it's ECU related since when I went to read the CEL codes I got no signal from the OBD1 port..

FWIW I have a complete '96 L31 Vortec 350 (ECU and fuse blocks but no harness) that needs going through that I may toss in. Block only has something like 80k miles.

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
can someone tell me what these plugs are for? I can't seem to find where they are supposed to go
You must be registered for see images attach

Birchyboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If an engine is prone to burning oil, should it burn more during short trips or long trips? Does it matter?

Poseidon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do i remove the driver side valve cover ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2