The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ok my stupid question. I am looking at a 98 Tahoe 4X4 with the G80. I know it's a limited slip but what is the gear ratio?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's an Eaton Gov-Locker actually, but unfortunately there's no easy way that I know of to check the gearing without having the RPO code that actually applies to that. You can check the sticker in the glove box if it's still there. G80 just states that it has the Gov-Lock instead of an open carrier. The RPO codes for the gearing are listed on the very first page of this thread.

ChevyDave

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's an Eaton Gov-Locker actually, but unfortunately there's no easy way that I know of to check the gearing without having the RPO code that actually applies to that. You can check the sticker in the glove box if it's still there. G80 just states that it has the Gov-Lock instead of an open carrier. The RPO codes for the gearing are listed on the very first page of this thread.

How exactly does the g80 work? I've never really understood it lol

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How exactly does the g80 work? I've never really understood it lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTGZOJQQBeE

In my experience, they act like an open carrier until there is a few hundred RPM of difference in speed detected between the rear wheels, then they lock if you're still on the throttle. That is, as long as the truck is moving slower than 20mph or so. Faster than that and they just act like an open carrier.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
its a posi unit, both wheels should lock and rotate at the same speed when it detects that one side is slipping, otherwise to cut down on rotational mass for daily driving purposes it disengages so that only one wheel spins, and also disengages around corners under normal circumstances so they wheels act independently so your not sliding around corners, now if your heavy on it then yes normal driving and turning the wheels become locked and you slide around them. the factory g80 isnt the best though its somewhat weak in 10 bolts and it can literally either just die and stop working or grenade entirely and make a mess of your rear end.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
you have a 10 bolt or 14? im not at all a fan of truck 10 bolts but sure you can but is there a stronger better option then yes, now if you tow alot and its its main purpose id suggest upgrading for reliability purposes.

ryandrews123

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm looking to do a 14 bolt swap in my truck. Would my 15" wheels fit with the semi float?