The **GREAT** Valance Debate

The Great Valance Debate

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CDHenry6

Reaction score
Marshfield, WI. Born and raised in Central PA.
I'm just gonna leave this here...
You must be registered for see images attach

Looks a lot better here...

Looks even better here...

Pardon the slight derailment, but Scott, I'm curious. What prep did you have to do on the plasti-chrome grille and the wheels before painting them ? My grille is starting to peel and the truck isn't worth buying new parts for, so I was thinking of rattle-canning the grille, and possibly the wheels, too .

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
depends on the ltruck like said, and theres no certain truck that looks right or wrong. ive seen trucks with alot of lift pull one off, lowered trucks with them on or off. 88's truck looks great with the 454 ss valence as it adds to his multitude of lighting, my old 88 looked better with it on, my 93 looks better without one, my friends 12in solid axled truck looks better with a 454 valence and a reciever hitch sticking out the center, just all depends.

dr_goodwrench66

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally think it looks much better with one on the 2500/3500 trucks!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Saturday. 60mph. Hit a set of hoopty-do's. No warning sign! 4 lane highway.
Road dropped down, came up, down again, then came up really fast!
Scrrrrrape! Actually more like BAM! A moment of a floating feel, then BANG! %$#&@#!!!
That was the hardest that this truck's ever been bottomed out! It's only a 2/4 drop! If this happened in the '98, there would of been a whole lot more (serious) damage.
Front tires hit the back of the wheel well, (that's the spot that hits, but very rarely.)
Caught the edges of the wheel wells, which cut up the sidewalls a bit! The wheel wells have been rolled to clear, so this has never happened before!
Bent the crap outa the chrome moulding edges. (also rolled!)
Took out the valance, (beyond repair!) & my custom front plate mount, (busted right off!)

While I'm on the side of the road inspecting the damage, look around & see parts & pieces from other vehicles that have been fallen victim to this stretch of road. Broken valances, a tailpipe, chunks of fog lights.
Nice job, city engineering!

So, I go looking for a replacement valance this A.M.
Find these...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15569428-GM...ts=Make:Chevrolet&hash=item485b245105&vxp=mtr

Relatively cheap! The ones with tow hooks are the same $$$.
But I have the fogs. Found this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/88-98-Chevy...ts=Make:Chevrolet&hash=item23062b4ae6&vxp=mtr

WTF'N F? What's up with the huge price dif??? Screw that! I'll get a stocker & use the broken one as a template for the holes!

But like other's have said. Depends on the truck. Lowered 2whl? Yes. 4X4 stock or raised, maybe.

dr_goodwrench66

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Each to their own I guess. Just looks more finished to me with it on. And thank you Horns!

Blaine Davies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Saturday. 60mph. Hit a set of hoopty-do's. No warning sign! 4 lane highway.
Road dropped down, came up, down again, then came up really fast!
Scrrrrrape! Actually more like BAM! A moment of a floating feel, then BANG! %$#&@#!!!
That was the hardest that this truck's ever been bottomed out! It's only a 2/4 drop! If this happened in the '98, there would of been a whole lot more (serious) damage.
Front tires hit the back of the wheel well, (that's the spot that hits, but very rarely.)
Caught the edges of the wheel wells, which cut up the sidewalls a bit! The wheel wells have been rolled to clear, so this has never happened before!
Bent the crap outa the chrome moulding edges. (also rolled!)
Took out the valance, (beyond repair!) & my custom front plate mount, (busted right off!)

While I'm on the side of the road inspecting the damage, look around & see parts & pieces from other vehicles that have been fallen victim to this stretch of road. Broken valances, a tailpipe, chunks of fog lights.
Nice job, city engineering!

So, I go looking for a replacement valance this A.M.
Find these...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15569428-GM...ts=Make:Chevrolet&hash=item485b245105&vxp=mtr

Relatively cheap! The ones with tow hooks are the same $$$.
But I have the fogs. Found this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/88-98-Chevy...ts=Make:Chevrolet&hash=item23062b4ae6&vxp=mtr

WTF'N F? What's up with the huge price dif??? Screw that! I'll get a stocker & use the broken one as a template for the holes!

But like other's have said. Depends on the truck. Lowered 2whl? Yes. 4X4 stock or raised, maybe.

^^ That sucks man!! :thumbsdown: Lougheed or the #1??? LOL! ^^

Personal Preference. Valance on a 2x4 ties the front end together a bit.

Personal opinion; on a 4x4, I feel that the valance looks better when it's either lying in a scrap parts pile, on an add in the "Free" section of craigslist or in a garbage can at the curb (mine was sitting at the end of the driveway during spring cleaning this past weekend)... along with the old bumper that I managed to put what I like to call a "speed divett" in after I had owned it for a month and a half.. :banghead:

To each his own though, if you're un-decided, take it off and stand back 10-20 ft. Your truck will talk to you and tell you if you should put it back on. If your truck doesn't tell you, your friends will.