The comprehensive vortec swap thread?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZZ-71

Reaction score
hey guys, I am looking to do a swap in my 96 GMC sierra sooner than later but cant seem to find a spot that has all of the info I'm looking for, so if anyone could chime in and let me know what works and what doesn't that would be great.

My questions entail-

Can you use any SBC chevy block? or only vortec?

computer swaps and tunes to make it work?

Transmission and clutch information( I have an NV3500/305 combo now)

Can you swap BBC into a SBC truck?

just looking for a little more towing power for my truck so that i can pull my tractor to the pulls. but would like to build a pretty radical, Maybe 400sbc for it?

bikerkid9069

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My questions entail-

Pretty much any sbc block will work (LT1 blocks will not work)

Just get a chip for your current ecu, There are plenty of them out there.

I'd probably suggest going to a heavy duty clutch for the extra ponies.

Yes.

just looking for a little more towing power for my truck so that i can pull my tractor to the pulls. but would like to build a pretty radical, Maybe 400sbc for it?

355 w/flat top pistons, vortec heads, cam, roller rockers and a 650 cfm carb would make plenty of power....

You should also look into re-gearing if your truck is having trouble towing.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hey guys, I am looking to do a swap in my 96 GMC sierra sooner than later but cant seem to find a spot that has all of the info I'm looking for, so if anyone could chime in and let me know what works and what doesn't that would be great.

My questions entail-

Any first generation SBC that is a roller block with a one piece main seal will work.

You can just plug and play your current ECU, but for more power and better overall ECU, do a 411 conversion.

NV3500s are fragile, anything much over stock you'd probably brake it. I'd stick with the regular pressure clutch and let it be the weak link in the system. A lot easier to replace the clutch than the transmission.

Sure can, but the L29 is a boat anchor, and you'd have to beef up your front suspension to handle the weight of one. A properly sorted L31 is the best way to go in my opinion, aside from a LSx swap, that is.

You can built a 383 that will easily produce around 400 HP and over 450 Lbs. Tq. at low RPMs. This is a tried and true way and tons of people have done it for decades, with a lot of aftermarket support on it.

See above