The Body Lift Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squeaky3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
there was no need to trim the fan shroud like that...there is brackets that are for the bottom that hold it in place where it originally was and the spacers for above it between the 2 pieces

my bumper doesnt line up exactly right and the same way it was before...you pretty much have to get it as close as you can...after awhile its not even really noticeable

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
why did the bumper need welded? I thought it was a bolt on deal?

The brackets have nuts pre welded on them, but whoever made them didnt line the nuts up with the hole.

Unless there was some other brackets I didnt use for lower shroud, I dont no, oh well, fan shroud is in place and Im happy with the trimming I did.

I started on the box of the truck got 5 of 6 bolts loose, the middle passenger side bolt broke 2 sockets.. Im out of 18mm 6 points now, 1 half inch drive and 1 3/8ths that I had an adapter that goes from half inch to 3/8ths on. Didn't stripe the bolt though, going to soak it over night and tap it with a brass hammer and try again tomorrow. If that doesnt work, Im going to buy an impact 18mm half inch or a 3/4th drive if they have one and reef that ***** bolt out.

I had to drive my truck with a lifted cab and stock lift box to my buddies christmas gathering lmao.

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Impact makes it so easy. Took me 20 minutes to lift the bed using the impact gun. If I had to use a ratchet I would have been there for a minute im sure.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't even try a ratchet on anything I haven't taken off, not when it comes to frame, susp. or motors usually. I just hit em with the impact. I used a 1/2 drive 12 point 18mm on mine, worked great.

squeaky3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i didnt use an impact when i did mine...just used a good size 1/2 drive ratchet

but if it is really stuck in there i suggest a good 1/2 breaker bar, possible some pipe for more leverage and crank that baby loose

you have a better chance of actually breaking it loose with a good breaker bar and leverage than with just an impact

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i didnt use an impact when i did mine...just used a good size 1/2 drive ratchet

but if it is really stuck in there i suggest a good 1/2 breaker bar, possible some pipe for more leverage and crank that baby loose

you have a better chance of actually breaking it loose with a good breaker bar and leverage than with just an impact

I tried that when I was doing mine but some bolts would not budge that way. Plus the lift was in the way of using the big bar on the cab bolts. Most came off instantly with the impact gun. I had also soaked them with pb blaster almost everyday leading up to it for a week.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
x2, IMO you have a better chance breaking them for sure, in half or the heads off with a ratchet. The impact vibrates them loose. I've always had tons more luck with a good impact and air compressor on tough rusted bolts then by hand. if I do get a big enough pipe the head gets ruined or it breaks. My dad swears by the impact, esp. on like manifold bolts, says you'll break them everytime with a ratchet but impact brings them off, however I've snapped several manifold(lower collector studs) with an impact, but never a head side bolt, and sometimes you have to use a ratchet, no room for the impact.

I do try alot of the time with hand tools when I don't feel like dragging out the compressor, but there's always one or two that won't come out until I break out the air tools, or I get some broke by hand that may have been saved by air tools, or it just simply takes longer.

I would consider myself lucky getting them loose by hand. the idiots who done mine had 2 broke bolts and one missing then I broke one.

Now here's a question for you guys...

do the body lift blocks have a big enough hole for a thicker dia. bolt? I replaced my broke bed bolts with thicker ones, and it works great for now, but if I body lift I'll need thicker bolts the same length as the ones in the kit, or I'll need to redo the bed and make the ones from the kit work, which means I'd need to cut open the seals and fix the missing or broke loose nuts.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
I'll get pictures of my truck all done later in the afternoon today, technically it wont be "finished" until I buy my color matched grille, make my gap guards, get my tires and all that.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
OK GUYS, NEW PROBLEM.. I took all passenger bed bolts out and loosened drivers side, started lifting box and the damn frame worked its way up from the leaf springs unbinding, I had my jack stacked up high and still frame came up with it.. What do I do? get a Porta-Power?