TBI - TPI - Multi-Port EFI Retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pro17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The wiring modification to the ECM to make your computer fire batch and not bank would allow for any MPFI system. I cant think of any setup for 454 off the top of my head other than 96-98 vortec. If you could pick up a vortec intake with the GM MPFI conversion kit. but i think vortec went MAF and TBI ECM will still want a MAP, so youll have to find a vacuum source.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
16197427 PCM’s are able to be converted to work with MPFI and have the ability to use MAF and IAT inputs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tachyon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Before I went through all that, I'd try doing the CSFI to MPFI Spider Conversion first. Combined with a tune or programmer and some airflow upgrade (cold air intake kit, headers, exhaust) you can get some pretty impressive results.

Rock Auto and Amazon both sell the new spider and this is actually a GM recommended upgrade. If you were to go to the dealer because your CSFI spider crapped out (as they're known to do) they're supposed to do this upgrade.

Here's an overview.
http://www.fuelinjector.citymaker.com/Vortec_spider_fuel_injection_conversion.html

I have done this upgrade on my truck and I'm extremely pleased with it. The power, throttle response, smoothness, and fuel economy are better than they have ever been. Of course I have it combined with other upgrades to improve airflow and performance. See my signature.

FYI, I did this conversion myself, and it was not an entry level task. It's doable at home, but for those reading, it's not a first timer or beginner job. You have to take most of the top of the engine apart or off. Be SURE you photograph and document where you got everything from or you be screwed. Trust me on that one. If you look up videos on this on YouTube, some of them remove the distributor. Totally not necessary and a total PITA on these trucks since you can't re-time the distributor without a scan tool. You should however remove the serpentine belt and unbolt the A/C compressor if you have one and flip the whole assembly over onto the fender well where the air cleaner box goes. This way you don't have to de-pressurize it or deal with the "freon" etc.

Good luck.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Agree with everything above, except the programmer and cold air intake. A real tune will be worlds better than a handheld programmer, and a "cold air intake" is completely unnecessary. I'm actually ripping a K&N FIPK out of my red truck right now in favor of a factory K47 airbox because the open box design of the K&N actually raised my intake air temps. If you must have one for looks alone, at least get a Volant. They're the only people who make one with a closed box design that draws cool air from the factory fender hole.

Reaction score
I have the EBL, and though i dont have MPEFI yet, I know its possible to do. BTW, I love the EBL, the learning curve is somewhat steep, but its worth it. Ive gotten as hi as 25mpg on the highway with just my TBI. Well, a couple other mods, but not too many....:)
If I could get 25 mpg I would stick to the TBI. That is more then I am looking to get out of it. What is EBL and what other mods do you have done to get that kind of mileage?

Reaction score
Before I went through all that, I'd try doing the CSFI to MPFI Spider Conversion first. Combined with a tune or programmer and some airflow upgrade (cold air intake kit, headers, exhaust) you can get some pretty impressive results.

Rock Auto and Amazon both sell the new spider and this is actually a GM recommended upgrade. If you were to go to the dealer because your CSFI spider crapped out (as they're known to do) they're supposed to do this upgrade.

Here's an overview.
http://www.fuelinjector.citymaker.com/Vortec_spider_fuel_injection_conversion.html

I have done this upgrade on my truck and I'm extremely pleased with it. The power, throttle response, smoothness, and fuel economy are better than they have ever been. Of course I have it combined with other upgrades to improve airflow and performance. See my signature.

FYI, I did this conversion myself, and it was not an entry level task. It's doable at home, but for those reading, it's not a first timer or beginner job. You have to take most of the top of the engine apart or off. Be SURE you photograph and document where you got everything from or you be screwed. Trust me on that one. If you look up videos on this on YouTube, some of them remove the distributor. Totally not necessary and a total PITA on these trucks since you can't re-time the distributor without a scan tool. You should however remove the serpentine belt and unbolt the A/C compressor if you have one and flip the whole assembly over onto the fender well where the air cleaner box goes. This way you don't have to de-pressurize it or deal with the "freon" etc.

Good luck.
I appropriate the info but it said it is for a Vortec engine which I do not have.

Agree with everything above, except the programmer and cold air intake. A real tune will be worlds better than a handheld programmer, and a "cold air intake" is completely unnecessary. I'm actually ripping a K&N FIPK out of my red truck right now in favor of a factory K47 airbox because the open box design of the K&N actually raised my intake air temps. If you must have one for looks alone, at least get a Volant. They're the only people who make one with a closed box design that draws cool air from the factory fender hole.
Well K&N specialize in "free flowing" intakes not "cold air" so higher temp is not uncommon with them but over all performance usually goes up. In any case I will be doing a custom active hood scoop this summer.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well K&N specialize in "free flowing" intakes not "cold air" so higher temp is not uncommon with them but over all performance usually goes up.

I'd love to see some data to back that up other than the dyno sheets from K&N themselves which are almost certainly fudged a little. Regardless, the factory intakes on these trucks (especially the K47 boxes on the Vortec trucks) flow more than enough for all but extremely heavily modified engines. I'm not sure about the TBI intakes as I've never owned one, but I'd imagine they're sufficient. My statement about Volant or nothing still applies though, they're the only company with a proper closed box design even for the TBIs that I'm aware of.

Also I completely missed the original topic of this post, which stated you were working with a TBI, and trying to go TPI. I just saw the programmer and CAI bit and had to chime in, I apologize! @pro17's posts are probably the best info you're going to get here.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I could get 25 mpg I would stick to the TBI. That is more then I am looking to get out of it. What is EBL and what other mods do you have done to get that kind of mileage?

http://www.dynamicefi.com/EBL_Flash.php

I went with Vortec heads w/1.6 roller rockers, an Edelbrock 4 barrel intake with TBI adapter, Ultimate TBI mods, an LT1 Roller cam, and headers. Oh, and electric fans. Took the heat riser flapper out of the air cleaner and plumbed straight to the fender hole.

pro17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
MPG is relative to your vehicle. One is a 454 HD truck, the other a 350 SCSB. They are going to both see a % increase in mpg but the 454 wont see 25mpg, lol.

Going to TPI was a cool project, and I am still trying to clean up the little pieces here and there, but it took forever because no where on the internet was there an exact parts list, especially for a 95, the odd year of 88-94, and no detailed instructions. Not only that, when I found a part or tool was needed, it had to be shipped to my place, and even with amazon prime it took a while. Add it all up, and it becomes a 3-4 month project just for a simple intake swap. Although now that I know whats needed I could do it in a day.
But if you dont want to go thru all of that and what i wrote up doesnt make sense, talk with fast355 at www.gearhead-efi.com apparently he is the TBI king.

Reaction score
http://www.dynamicefi.com/EBL_Flash.php

I went with Vortec heads w/1.6 roller rockers, an Edelbrock 4 barrel intake with TBI adapter, Ultimate TBI mods, an LT1 Roller cam, and headers. Oh, and electric fans. Took the heat riser flapper out of the air cleaner and plumbed straight to the fender hole.
Thanks. I was planning to do most of that any way. I have done the Ultimate TBI mods and took the heat riser flapper out already. I am going to be changing over to an electric fan and doing some exhaust very shortly. I was thinking about the Edelbrock intake. how much of a differences did you see with that?

MPG is relative to your vehicle. One is a 454 HD truck, the other a 350 SCSB. They are going to both see a % increase in mpg but the 454 wont see 25mpg, lol.

Going to TPI was a cool project, and I am still trying to clean up the little pieces here and there, but it took forever because no where on the internet was there an exact parts list, especially for a 95, the odd year of 88-94, and no detailed instructions. Not only that, when I found a part or tool was needed, it had to be shipped to my place, and even with amazon prime it took a while. Add it all up, and it becomes a 3-4 month project just for a simple intake swap. Although now that I know whats needed I could do it in a day.
But if you dont want to go thru all of that and what i wrote up doesnt make sense, talk with fast355 at www.gearhead-efi.com apparently he is the TBI king.

Thanks for the info. I don't know where you got the 454 but I have a 350 so it should be comparable.