TBI Mods!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
In all honesty, you're better off saving your money and buying gears for the front/rear axles with those 285s. At best you have a 3.73 axle and with a big, heavy truck it will still be a turd with every mod possible, sans an LSx swap. Mechanical advantage is much more useful than total HP at WOT, which is only where you'd benefit from all these mods. Even then it's no more than a 10hp gain at best, even with a tune. A tune will help a good deal, but mainly from a drivability standpoint. Part throttle cruise can be greatly enhanced on those engines, and they need to be corrected for E10 fuel anyway.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
the lid flip is an age old debate... with it in the stock position, you're getting cooler more dense air, but at the same time with it flipped you're getting more air, though it is warmer, and less dense.

I've never been able to wrap my head around this argument. The engine is going to pull in the same volume (but not the same mass) of air regardless of the lid being open or closed. Even at WOT, the stock piping through the fender flows adequately for the throttle openings. The only real advantage of opening the lid is faster warm up times in winter when it's cold as space, because the thermac tube doesn't always function as designed.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've never been able to wrap my head around this argument. The engine is going to pull in the same volume (but not the same mass) of air regardless of the lid being open or closed. Even at WOT, the stock piping through the fender flows adequately for the throttle openings. The only real advantage of opening the lid is faster warm up times in winter when it's cold as space, because the thermac tube doesn't always function as designed.

I believe you know damn well what you're talking about but what about those guys who can "feel" the difference when it's flipped. I always just thought they were maybe hearing the engine intake being louder and there fore thought they were going faster. A TBI 350 is so slow that I can see where a little noise could make you feel faster lol

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
I believe you know damn well what you're talking about but what about those guys who can "feel" the difference when it's flipped. I always just thought they were maybe hearing the engine intake being louder and there fore thought they were going faster. A TBI 350 is so slow that I can see where a little noise could make you feel faster lol

It's all a sensory (and placebo) effect. There really is no difference, unless the intake tube is packed full of mud or something.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's all a sensory (and placebo) effect. There really is no difference, unless the intake tube is packed full of mud or something.

Yeah that's what I thought. I remember in highschool this kid told me to do it and it'd sound like I had a "supercharger" lol what a crock. I remember doing it, driving down my street and then flipping it back over.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
:jester:

If you want the supercharger sound, some of the early Gatorback belts were notorious for whining.

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im looking into buying a whipple for my LS build... i got to see a dyno run today with a whipple on a truck and WOW..

they also did the underdrive pulley test not to long ago.. stock 2003 5.3 and all was done was just the pulleys... made 2HP over stock... so i say and them to its not worth the money...