TBI Mods!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71LOVE

Reaction score
Well fellas not too long ago I put lifted my truck 3 inches and I thought I was done doing stuff to it. But im sure you guys know the feeling of just wanting to keep getting your hands dirty and making your vehicle better. Thats where i'm at right now and wan to add some HP for cheap. Any ideas? thanks guys

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks good mang and I more than know that feeling. Been @ it 10 years now with the same truck.

However, I just recently started getting into this TBI. Since it has decent low end torque, or should I say, these motors are ALL low end torque; I decided to do some mid-hi end power mods SO I got on summit and got the transdapt smooth bore TBI spacer ($50) and the hypertech powercharger ($40) also ordered injector spacer ($15) but haven't put it on yet. Just with the other 2 mods I noticed a good bit more PUNCH 40+ mph really helped out that passing gear. I was concentrated on increasing my airflow so I also pulled out the stock air box and put a straight pipe in that's less restrictive and hooked it up to my air cleaner lid. Those are a couple of the cheap bolt on mods to start with.

If you really want to make a difference. Long tube headers, heads, intake and cam will wake these motors up like no other. The entire TBI system is just terrible flowing. Worst head design ever, along with a puny cam...If you're like me and don't feel it's worth going that deep into then do the type of mods I did. I also want to do long tubes and a new intake manifold though. ALSO, check out the Ultimate TBI mods that also really help air/fuel flow since that's problem #1 with these motors anyway.

GreaseDog

Pickup Artist
Reaction score
if you're going to go as far as heads and cam, throw the stock intake away too. single planes are supposed to work best (with an adapter for the TB), but i have a Edelbrock Performer RPM on the Vortec longblock in my 94 K1500, aside from the tune being a little off, it pulls like a freight train all the way to the rev limiter.

Reaction score
I don't know how far you are willing to go but a buddy of mine ran an RV cam in his truck with shaved heads and a trans shift kit. That thing was a rocket!!! I can't say much myself cause I went backwords with a carb setup and Vortec heads. I will say , however before I did, I was seriously thinking about Vortec heads and some parts from CFM technologies. They had an article in trucks magazine a while back. http://www.cfm-tech.com/trucksarticle.htm

Z71LOVE

Reaction score
What about a throttle body spacer?

Southern Pride: did you notice much of anything when you put the spacer tb spacer. I have heard arguments both ways as to if they are worth it or not?

and has anyone out there done the lid flip? Where you turn the air filter lid upside down to get more air to the throttle?

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I told you what I noticed in my original post...TB spacer combined with the powercharger smoother, quicker, acceleration. Definitely noticed a difference.

GreaseDog

Pickup Artist
Reaction score
the lid flip is an age old debate... with it in the stock position, you're getting cooler more dense air, but at the same time with it flipped you're getting more air, though it is warmer, and less dense.