TBI Crate Engine Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Szil66

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am looking at buying a crate engine for my pickup. I currently have 220k on my engine and its starting to get tired. It is my daily so I am leaning towards a crate engine for the sake of time.

I am looking at this one from Five Star Engines, first off just wondering if anyone has gone this way before?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-350-3...m2a750b77de:m:m2hnE_VJJvNzCnWLqSh8XEg&vxp=mtr

Second, I contacted them and they told me that no modification is needed, that my TBI will work and that I won't need a chip. Which is contrary to everything I have read.

My main concern is that I will have to get a chip and from what I have heard about mail order chips, could turn into a nightmare.

I want a straight forward swap but if I am paying for a crate engine I'd like to have more HP than stock. I just need to have a short swap time frame.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I think that five star engines has a bunch of bad reviews. They sound good when you talk to them on the phone, but you may end up with junk, but I am not 100 % sure. IMO you would be better off buying an engine from a place like Summit racing, or Jegs, or GM performance. Also you may want to look into a 383 if it is power you are looking for. There are 383s that are a direct replacement for you 350. A 383 is a 350 with a 400 crank. I tried to post a link, and crap came up, but if you go to summit racing sight and type in 383 crate engine, about 6 pages will come up.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just the thought of buying a crate engine on eBay kind of freaks me out. Like Kenny said, I'd go with a reputable place like Summit or Jegs. At least that way if something goes wrong they'll make it right.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there a motor shop near you that could build yours how you want? And if something's not right you won't have the mindf### of an ordeal trying to get eBay people to stand behind their stuff (if you can get them to answer the phone). Plus you might save a few dollars, have a known quality product, and support your local business. eBay is for phone cases, motor builders are for getting motors built.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree with that as well. If there's a reputable local builder that can do it, I'd always go that route. By the time you factor in shipping time for the crate engine, the difference in down-time would probably be minimal for a rebuild vs a crate.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A local engine builder with a good rep. may be the best option, if you have one close.

Szil66

Reaction score
I would have mine rebuilt, or even rebuild it myself but it's my only vehicle so I don't have time for the motor to be out getting machined and rebuilt and that whole whole ordeal. When looking at the cost to power ratio I may just look into doing a 5.3 swap. I have a 60 Bel Air that I swapped a 5.3 into and from what I have heard this body style is a very easy swap. I would much rather have a shop build me a motor but I drive 40+ miles a day for work and can't sacrifice my pickup being down. I really don't know what to do, I have this argument with myself every few weeks. Whether I want to keep it simple and swap in a crate 350 or if I want to buy a junkyard 5.3, put a little money into it and have a much more powerful engine.

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
TBI will not make 310HP without serious modifications. At the very least, you'd need a new fuel pump, new regulator spring, a chip, and better flowing heads. As stated above, if you want a quick and easy swap, get the GM Performance TBI motor from Summit. https://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/nal-12568758

It bolts right up, no mods needed. If you want more power, you'll need to do some mods. Check out tbichips.com for all the info you need on upgrading the TBI motors. Or do a Vortec swap like I'm about to.

Szil66

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys. I was figuring I would have to worry about chips and what not. I think it's going to be smarter for me to buy a 5.3, cam it, and run with it.

I appreciate the help