Taillights stay on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Olson

Reaction score
Hi,
I got a 99 K1500 that has given me lots of small electrical issues. Today when I parked my truck at work the left side tailight would not turn off the other one did though so I’m wondering if that would just be that tailight that stayed on harness is bad? I’ve had a similar issue but it was both and that was trailer plug but I’m pretty stuck on this one. Anybody ever had this happen and no the fix?
Thanks David

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If its its staying on, then its getting power when it shouldnt be. So you need to figure out is it a brake light, or a running light. Brake light, could be the switch. Running light, a short some where. Ether way, you need to trace back the wires with a test light and figure out where the short is. May be in trailer wiring, maybe not.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would suspect the taillight harness. The wiring on my Stepside was all dorked up from someone poorly installing a 6-pin trailer connector. Later on someone else then went in and tried to do some roadside repairs. I threw all that junk out and went to Pull-A-Part looking for a replacement harness. Every pickup had butchered wiring. The 1/2 ton Suburbans all had pristine wiring. I nabbed a Suburban harness and plugged it right in. Five-minute fix.