Tailgate adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Depends on how much adjustment you need. The striker plates are very slightly slotted so you can loosen the bolts a little and move the plate; I suggest loosening the bolts, snug them back down just finger tight, then close the tailgate to where you want it to sit - pushing the striker plates around with the tailgate. Then very carefully open it so that you don't disturb their position, and tighten them down.

Richard

whiplash473

Tyler
Reaction score
What @someotherguy said is right on the money.

What I did, doubtful for most due to resources, if put my strikers in the Bridgetport (mill) at work and slotted them about 0.100" over stock to give more adjustment.

Sent from my bored/stroked iPhone 6S

wally

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys . It's pretty bad I own the service manuals and nowhere in them does it give an adjustment procedure for it . Thanks again

whiplash473

Tyler
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys . It's pretty bad I own the service manuals and nowhere in them does it give an adjustment procedure for it . Thanks again
Well it's not a typical adjustment and definitely not a regular-basis service requirement. I know what you mean though.

Sent from my bored/stroked iPhone 6S

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I think the rattling on an old tailgate is due mostly to worn latches. The tailgate rattled a bit on my '94 C2500LD that was around 150K miles or so; I had a brand-new takeoff tailgate (actually 4 of 'em!) and tried one on the truck. Just popped it on, didn't adjust anything, and it shut solid and didn't rattle one bit. You can certainly try the adjustment route, though, and it will probably help.

Richard

wally

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took my tailgate off to rebuild it and flip the handle inside the bed it's got 233 thousand on it and noticed the top is not as flush as I like"ocd" ,but it I does not rattle like it did either

sketchy90z71

Reaction score
might be a little room for adjustment on the hinges but i could be wrong, if not theres always the ol grinding wheel