Sway Bar Link Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quovardis

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just bought a 98 Chevy K1500 and have replaced most of the front end already (Steering Gear/Pitman/Idler/Tie Rods/Hub/Ball Joints/Rotors/Brakes).

I'm now moving on to the Sway Bar Link and Bar Bushings.

My questions:-

• Currently the Sway bar at the bottom end (lower control arm) is angled, if I go through the smallish hole in the LCA I cant get a socket in there. Whats the recommendation to get this to work?
    • Maybe loosen off the Bar Bushings first?
    • Grind them off?
  • When I go to put the Bar / Links back in, should I?
    • Jack up the LCA or even put the wheels back on?
    • Keep the Stabilizer bar loose in the Bar bushings until I get the link snugged up then tighten the Bar bushings?

Would appreciate some help on this...thanks.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I would cut them off.

When I put them back on I got stiff poly and I couldn't for the life of me get the nut started by going through the bottom of the LCA so I ran the bolt up through the LCA and put the nut on top. When I got everything tight, I took a bolt cutter to the top of the bolt so it wasn't rubbing on the UCA. It's been fine since then.

Quovardis

Reaction score
Yeah, was thinking that may be the best way, also when putting them back in by not tightening the stabilizer bushings until i get the links tight

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
Dang.... How many beers was that? [emoji3]

Like 6 before. But the things were so seized up even cutting them in half and a BFH, took forever. I was planning on doing them, tie rods and ball joints. Needless to say, I quit after the links and have not attempted the other things yet. Lol

bobboz

Reaction score
i did the same thing. mine looked so bad i didnt even bother trying to loosen them went straight to the torch. I didnt cut the top of the threads tho, i thought it looked like there was plenty room but maybe i need to go back and double check it.

Quovardis

Reaction score
So I eventually got these replaced, had to grind them off then insert the head end from the bottom side (LCA), Then cut off the end of the bolt so it didnt interfere with the UCA (pretty much the same as what RichLo did)

Its the only way I could get them in even with loosening the Stabilizer bar bushings completely (which I replaced also)