Sway bar link angle and popping noises..etc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd check that the steering gear box attachment bolts to the frame are tight.
...and verify idler arm, Pitman arm, and the tie rod ends that aren't visible in that video.

You know the lower control arm bushings are bad. Upper bushing problems are even more common. Get that taken care of as well.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Everything apart from the lca is less than 2 years old. Are you saying re-check torque of everything? I'm not sure how to check for play or whatever. I mean, 3&9 shaking causes the pitman arm to move slightly iirc...
For some reason, all the videos and info I'm trying to take in just leaves me more confused because of different setups..etc..
Jack the control arms before testing...which I guess I'm supposed to...just confusing....
I'm getting ready to start working on it ...
I'll see if I can find anything before I start....

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's 3&9 shaking focused on the pitman arm...anything weird?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

focused on the tie rods...need a tripod...Got the Rube Goldberg tripod going on atm...

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IF (big IF) the steering gearbox is securely mounted to the frame (bolts not broken, bolts torqued properly, frame rail not rotted) then the steering gearbox is shot.

Lower ball joint is toast.

No kidding that truck is scary to drive. You've proven that the front wheels are not controlled, they're "herded".

There's probably more loose parts--idler arm, other tie rod ends--that haven't been video'd.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's what I got...
Haven't started any work yet.
Pretty sure gearbox is secure. I'll check torque on stuff.....
Pitman arm not supposed to move like that?

Everything is less than 2 years old apart from lower ca bushings.... I was obsessive with torque spec...Things have been greased a few times...Those dang loose tie rod clamps were definitely causing issues though...You could spin the adjuster at will... Couldn't have been good for everything I'd imagine... jerks...

Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be caught up on the age of things
I'm not...Just trying to give context in case it was missed. Likeliness and everything should matter but I know these days and with goofed up things on my end, it negates things somewhat....

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pitman arm isn't secure on the splined output shaft of the steering box. I though it was going to be wiped-out bearings in the box itself.

Either the nut isn't torqued, or the male--female splines are damaged.

Ball joint really does seem to be loose in the control arm. Not what I expected. Torque bolts, see if it's still showing signs of wear. I wouldn't be surprised if the joint itself is worn, aside from wiggling around in the control arm.

Thought I saw some play in the idler arm. Not real sure. Camera moving around too much.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ball joint really does seem to be loose in the control arm. Not what I expected. Torque bolts
Just got back home..Now I'm for sure going to start.
God willing of course...

This manual is maddening....where are bolts 137 and nuts 136....I've gone back as far as the 2wd diagrams..
I'm guessing A & B 45ft lbs... I'm sure that's what I did in the past.
Going to check now.....

Attachments

• IMG20240510091524.jpg
    IMG20240510091524.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeraldinmendez